Licensed practical nurses (LPNs) promote and maintain the heath of their patients by performing numerous medical services, including vital monitoring, wound care and hygiene assistance. They also explain treatment options to their patients and discuss patient progress with their supervisors.
To qualify to work with patients, licensed practical nurses must complete certification programs and obtain state and national licensing. They can also become licensed in specific disciplines, so be sure to mention your preferred specializations in your licensed practical nurse (LPN) job description.
In addition to being capable medical providers, licensed practical nurses should have strong interpersonal skills so they can make patients feel comfortable as they care for them. They must also be detail oriented to increase the likelihood that they will notice errors and prevent them from affecting patients. To learn more about what to include in your licensed practical nurse (LPN) job description, review the following example.
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Job Summary
Do you want to spend your life making a difference? Sunny Days Senior Center is seeking licensed practical nurses to deliver compassionate medical care to seniors living in our facility. Working under charge nurse Maria Foreman, you will administer services such as hygiene assistance and medication distribution while also providing your patients with warm conversation and a friendly smile. This position will give you the opportunity to assist with specialized procedures, widen your knowledge base and diversify your qualifications. If you want to apply your hard-earned training in a positive, welcoming environment, then Sunny Days Senior Center is the right place for you.
- Distribute correct medications to patients in proper doses, recording times of administration in charts to ensure ongoing accuracy
- Take and record patient vital signs, such as blood pressure, pulse and respiration, noting any undesirable signs and reporting them to other medical staff members
- Perform daily rounds to monitor patient morale and progress, converse with patients to gauge comfort levels, track changes and report patient status to supervisors
- Set up and fit patients with oxygen suppliers, catheters, feeding tubes, tracheotomy tubes and intravenous devices, removing and refreshing them as necessary throughout the day
- Provide hygiene assistance services, such as bathing, bedpan replacement, wound care and bedsore treatment, and advise patients on managing their symptoms
- Respond to patient requests, going above and beyond to make them as comfortable as possible while they are in your care
- Administer CPR to ailing patients, summon crash cart and otherwise assist care team during medical emergencies
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Licensed practical nurse (LPN) certification
- Two years’ experience as an LPN
- Ability to stand for at least eight hours and lift 25 pounds
- CPR certification
- Gerontology certification or experience
- Highly organized and strong attention to detail
- Outgoing and patient with superior communication skills
You are on your way to creating an outstanding licensed practical nurse (LPN) job description, but your work is not over yet. You also need to decide where and how you will distribute your job description to get in touch with the greatest number of qualified candidates. One way to find strong hires is to ask your employees for referrals. You can also use social media posts to reach large groups of people at virtually no cost.
In addition to these recruitment avenues, you should also be sure to post on job boards, which enable you to contact thousands of active job seekers. Of course, if you want to utilize more than one or two job boards, this task can quickly become inconvenient. To speed up the process and set yourself up for success, sign up for MightyRecruiter, which helps you post jobs for free to hundreds of boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter