Logging equipment operators run specialty vehicles such as tractors, skidders and harvesters to fell trees and transport timber. Their responsibilities may include trimming limbs, cutting trees and slicing logs into shorter pieces. They may also drive trucks to and from jobsites and assist with machine maintenance and repair.
Detail-oriented people tend to do well in these positions, as they are likely to monitor gauges, dials and other devices and make adjustments that result in greater safety and reliability. Because working effectively with other team members requires excellent communication skills, you could include that in the requirements of your logging operator job description.
Experience helps equipment operators make good snap judgements when there is little time to consult or room for error. You can build an attention-grabbing post by using our logging operator job description as a guide.
Logging Operator Job Summary
Are you looking to spend your work days breathing fresh, evergreen-scented air? We’re in need of a logging operator to run our harvester and other vehicles. Pack a lunch, because you’ll watch the sunrise with your fellow crew members and return to town after a long and satisfying day in the woods for an evening of rest. You’ll enjoy working with us, as we only run top-of-the-line, late-model equipment. We’re looking for someone who can make decisions on the fly while always following safety protocols. When the weather or terrain gets rough, we need someone who will stick to assigned tasks and maintain a positive attitude. If all of the above sounds like a description of you, please fill out and submit an application.
- Operate tractors, harvesters and other vehicles with care during day or night hours
- Check fuel, oil and brake fluid levels along with conducting a 360-degree inspection at the beginning of each workday to ensure it is safe to start equipment and move freely to the harvest location
- Use your machine proficiently to cut trees, shear limbs, slice downed logs and move timber while navigating vehicles through tight spaces
- Remain attentive at all times, employing hand-eye coordination and multitasking skills such as operating equipment while observing signals from a colleague over a two-way radio
- Wear personal protective equipment that is suitable to the environment and tasks being carried out, despite vibrations, jarring movements and sudden weather changes
- Purchase supplies and replacement parts and assist with vehicle repairs and maintenance
- Navigate forest roads using physical maps and/or GPS
- Weigh logs, confirm species, load transporter trucks and prepare receipts and other documents as needed
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Active CDL driver’s license with medical certification
- Able to safely operate heavy equipment in dusty conditions, snow and rain
- Strength to repetitively lift up to 50 pounds
- Excellent listener and verbal communicator
- Vocational training in heavy equipment
Now that you have a good idea for how to write and organize your logging operator job description, it’s time to think about how to reach your audience. Investing in your company’s brand will improve its image and potentially generate more interest among applicants. Even when your job is advertised elsewhere, nearly 85 percent of job seekers will visit the organization’s website to look for other openings or learn more about the business as a whole.
It can be a challenge to put your post in front of the right talent online. Once your post goes live, it doesn’t hurt to announce it on whatever social media channels your business uses. If you want to significantly expand your audience, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter