Logisticians manage the distribution of products, supplies or materials. Good results in their job depend on building strong business relationships with vendors, as well as understanding their clients’ unique needs and how best to meet them. They design strategies, implement them and constantly look for ways to streamline processes.
Critical thinking skills are important for handling the challenges of supply chain management and would be appropriate to include in your logistician job description. Strong communication is also vital to be able to coordinate complex sequences without usually being physically present to direct activities. Good problem-solving skills are also vital for handling issues when they arise.
Supply chain managers have to be well-organized and creative to be able to successfully deliver goods on time and, in some cases, properly store them. For more information about what goes into an effective logistician job description, consult the example below.
Logistician Job Summary
Doctors and first responders make great sacrifices to serve their patients, and when their test equipment is too expensive, hard to acquire or out of date, people suffer. Since our company’s inception, our technology has been changing lives for the better by improving portable medical diagnostics. If you’re a strong planner and are results-driven, we may have an opportunity for you to join our team as a logistician. Reporting to our program manager, you’ll work on both ends of the supply chain to help bring one of our new product lines to a worldwide market. You’ll see the outcome of your analytical creativity when our revolutionary tools reach communities and disaster relief sites near and far.
- Analyze all factors related to the supply chain and present various models that clearly show the differences in cost and delivery time between alternatives
- Coordinate the procurement of materials needed for production, develop product-specific storage solutions and execute the distribution of goods ready to ship
- Maintain ongoing data collection, continuously monitor key metrics, produce monthly progress reports and present findings at regularly scheduled meetings
- Fulfill rush orders and develop a system to speed up deliveries to remote, international or otherwise challenging destinations
- Standardize supply chain processes and contribute newly established procedures to technical documentation library
- Consult with distributors and clients to understand their expectations and evaluate their feedback, potentially creating separate programs for resellers and direct buyers
- Serve as a backup logistician for other groups during absences and participate in training and onboarding of new logistics staff as additional product lines are added
- Participate in special projects with the R&D, legal, marketing and business departments
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in supply chain management or equivalent experience
- Able to take responsibility for product lifecycle, meeting all agreement clauses
- Insightful in dealing with obstacles and resolving conflicts
- Experience in Pacific Rim area exportation
- Knowledge of RedPrairie E2e software
Beyond writing a great logistician job description, you also need a strategy to get it in front of the right people. Your role is key, as companies that excel in hiring the best candidates are 3.5 times more likely to experience revenue growth than those that don’t have effective tactics in place.
One surprising statistic is that candidates on the average use 17.7 different channels to search for a job. That provides a good reminder of the need to target your talent community, wherever they’re likely to be browsing. Increase your odds of hiring success by using MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free on hundreds of boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter