Machinists are tasked with utilizing several different types of machine tools operated by computers and mechanical components with the intention of manufacturing tools, instruments and metal parts. They do this through the use of CAD and CAM files, blueprints and drawings.
There are specific skills you’ll want to draw attention to in your machinist job description to boost your chances of finding the right candidates. Such skills include the necessary mechanical ability and knowledge, math skills, the manual dexterity necessary to use various tools, and the ability to comprehend models, specifications and blueprints.
Additionally, machinists should be able to endure lengthy work shifts standing on their feet for long periods of time. Be sure to take in the details mentioned in the machinist job description template below for a solid idea of what to include in your very own description.
Machinist Job Summary
Do you enjoy working with your hands, being creative and discovering solutions? Take your precise mechanical skills to the next level as our new machinist. You have the opportunity to create, repair and modify our line of mechanical instruments, sometimes with parts you make with your years of experience. We will depend on your knowledge of metal properties, mathematics, mechanics and machining operations to keep our operations running smoothly and on time. Take advantage of your careful eye for detail and generous knowledge of machines and technology that powers them. If you have the skills necessary to take the next step in your career and improve our company at the same time, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Use computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing files to complete your necessary job duties on a daily basis
- Set up, use and take apart machine tools, including those that are automatic and manual
- Secure, set up and adjust workpieces and cutting tools throughout your shift to ensure precision and adhere to safety protocols and regulations
- Smooth over the surfaces of products and parts as needed to ensure high-quality final results
- Use all necessary specifications to drill, mill, turn, grind and shape mechanical parts
- Check all completed machine components for defects, and make all necessary modifications before approving them
- Keep a close and careful eye on the overall speed and feed of the machines throughout your shift in an effort to reduce accidents, ensure product is of the right quality and maintain optimum machine operation
- Present all fully completed workpieces to quality assurance to make sure they are in line with the company’s standards and the necessary specifications
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Completion of a machinist apprenticeship program
- Familiar with common safety and protective equipment
- Knowledge of working with hazardous equipment
- Knowledge of such tools as calipers, hammers, drill presses, horizontal turning centers and height gauges
- A high school diploma or its equivalent
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Completion of a recognized certification program
You can save yourself a lot of time while simultaneously expanding your reach by drafting a winning machinist job description that finds its way in front of well-qualified applicants, so make sure you put in the time and energy required of the right job description that matches your company culture. Once you’ve finalized your job description, it’s time to decide where you post it.
While you can always go the more traditional route and put your job description on job boards, you should not forget to also include your company website or any social media platforms you might use. However, there are times when posting on job boards can be a bit cumbersome and time consuming. That’s why it’s a good idea to think about using MightyRecruiter for free job postings and other resources.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter