A maintenance manager is usually tasked with supervising the maintenance staff at a company. This position could encompass personnel management and schedule creation. Often, a maintenance manager must be able to make repairs, clean areas and order needed supplies.
The skills section of your maintenance manager job description is the perfect place to go over the abilities an ideal candidate would have. For example, you may want to include strong communication skills because a maintenance manager may have to explain complex issues to customers in a way they can understand. Other sought-after skills include good hand-eye coordination, problem-solving abilities and steady hands.
Creating a solid want ad is a vital part of finding top candidates. Review the following maintenance manager job description for a better idea of the elements you may want to include in your own write up.
Maintenance Manager Job Summary
Do have a passion for machines and working with your hands? Do you like to solve problems and help others find solutions? When you join the maintenance team here as a maintenance manager, you won’t see a boring day as you not only fix equipment and clean work areas but also create the schedule for the maintenance team and train new employees in the important policies of the company and specific duties for their unique position. As a part of this dedicated team, you get the chance to increase the service life of the equipment by scheduling regular maintenance and troubleshooting major problems. You can avoid the humdrum by inspiring the maintenance team to complete projects skillfully and efficiently.
- Provide training after policies change or when a new employee is hired to make sure all maintenance workers have the tools needed to complete projects safely and efficiently
- Diagnose specific machine malfunctions by operating, testing and inspecting the affected equipment to aid those you manage in troubleshooting complex problems
- Plan repair work using maintenance manuals, schematic diagrams, drawings and blueprints
- Create training documents that go over important company policies and safety procedures for new hires to go through
- Inspect equipment routinely to make sure the proper maintenance is being done on all equipment
- Keep detailed records of the repairs done on each individual machine so there is a single source detailing which equipment is in need of maintenance and which equipment has recently been serviced
- Order supplies, parts and equipment from suppliers to make sure that workers have the needed resources to complete current and upcoming projects
- Determine how to correct mechanical problems by referring to blueprints, parts catalogs and repair manuals whenever major problems arise
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lead others and inspire them to work hard
- Strong communication skills
- Technical understanding of mechanical equipment
- Ability to make hard decisions and solve problems
- Good time-management skills
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanics or similar field
- Familiar with computer-aided design software
When it is time to hire a new employee, writing a standout maintenance manager job description that details the responsibilities and skills related to the position can help you find qualified candidates. However, this is only the first step. After your posting has been created, you need to make sure it is seen by a large audience if you really want to find an employee who will be an asset to your company. You can get your want ad out to more people by using multiple online job boards, social media sites and company webpages for the same listing.
Finding top-notch employees does not have to be a long and arduous process. You can easily post jobs for free to hundreds of online job boards simultaneously through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter