Maintenance technicians work to keep buildings clean and orderly. They also help ensure public safety by cleaning debris and spills from office floors and hallways and making sure items are properly stored away from high-traffic areas. Also known as a janitor, a maintenance technician usually works evening hours, after staff have gone home and the building is empty.
The work can be physically demanding when moving supplies or office furniture and sometimes dirty and unpleasant, points you should include in your maintenance tech job description. Most techs work indoors but may have outside duties too, such as mowing lawns and removing snow from sidewalks.
A technician may also help maintain the building by making minor repairs to equipment, furniture, walls, etc. To gain insight into the nuts and bolts of this job, read the maintenance tech job description template below and additional ideas for crafting an appealing job posting.
Maintenance Tech Job Summary
If you are self-motivated and excel in an environment where you will be working on your own much of the time, you might be the right candidate for the maintenance technician job opening at our company. We are looking for a responsible and responsive individual to clean and maintain our building after-hours, Monday through Friday. We want someone with a team mentality who can take the initiative to clean or repair items as needed, along with the regular, day-to-day demands of this job. We will depend on you to help with setting up and tearing down for events, inspecting and cleaning our HVAC system and a variety of additional tasks. This is a great part-time job, perfect for students and others wanting to make a little money during the off-hours.
- Clean restrooms daily, emptying trash and feminine products, restocking bathroom supplies and mopping
- Sweep or vacuum all flooring daily; shampoo carpeting monthly and mop tiled floors weekly, more if needed; wax tiled floors at end of each quarter in a process that includes stripping, sealing, finishing and polishing
- Follow proper procedures and product instructions for using power equipment and chemical cleaners to ensure your health and safety and to prevent damage to floors and fixtures
- Gather trash from all trashcans on building grounds, inside and out, and empty daily
- Clean windows, glass partitions, mirrors and all reflective surfaces daily; dust all surfaces daily, including desktops and computers, wall hangings and machines
- Work with office manager to ensure timely orders of cleaning supplies and equipment needed; advise managers when major repairs are needed to the building or HVAC system and schedule regular cleaning and inspection of HVAC
- Move heavy equipment, office supplies and furniture by hand or using a dolly; help set up chairs and tables and tear down and store when event is finished
- Maintain winter sidewalks by removing snow and salting to prevent slipping
Job Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Self-motivation and follow-through to work independently
- Ability to stand, kneel, bend and withstand repetitive hand motions
- Ability to lift and carry items weighing 50 pounds or more by hand or using dolly
- Ability to multitask and prioritize to fulfill daily, weekly and monthly requirements
- General experience as handyman for making minor repairs
Creating an eye-catching maintenance tech job description is a great start to finding applicants for your job opening. However, you also need a strategy for getting the word out. In a job market where HR staff find it increasingly difficult to find qualified candidates, you need to attract as many as possible.
One piece of your strategy should include a simple career page on your company website that lets candidates apply with as few steps as possible. The more pages candidates must click through, the more you will lose through attrition. Many get frustrated during a multipage application process and just walk away. Get help getting the word out by posting jobs for free to hundreds of boards at once using MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter