Did you know that a well-written job description can mean the difference between finding an all-star hire and having to sift through dozens of irrelevant resumes? When you create a descriptive position explanation, you are giving the readers the tools they need to learn about the job. You are showing the requirements, responsibilities and details of the job in question. This helps to give the potential applicants a clear idea of whether or not the job is something they’re interested in. On the other hand, an uninformative job description makes it hard for the readers to even know what kind of job is really available. That’s why you may get applicants who aren’t qualified for the job you’re offering. Use the following Marketing and Sales Manager job description sample to help you create your own standout post.
Marketing and Sales Manager Job Summary
You will be tasked with researching and developing different marketing opportunities and plans and implementing new sales plans. You will be expected to manage both marketing and sales staff. You will have to work closely with other managers to ensure company runs smoothly.
Marketing and Sales Manager Responsibilities
- Accomplish marketing and sales human resource goals through normal managerial duties, such as recruiting, training, scheduling, coaching and disciplining employees
- Identify trends and determine system improvements to achieve marketing and sales operational goals
- Prepare an annual budget to meet marketing and sales financial goals
- Develop field sales action plans and advertising to accomplish marketing and sales goals
- Identify different consumer requirements to properly identify marketing opportunities
- Research and capitalize on different marketing opportunities to improve product marketability and profitability
- Anticipate new opportunities to maintain relationship with important clients
- Gather, investigate and summarize data and trends to provide accurate information through reports
- Stay up to date on job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, attending conferences and workshops, reading professional publications, maintaining a personal network and joining professional organizations
- Collaborate with other managers and key employees in sales and marketing department to achieve important goals
Marketing and Sales Manager Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business and Marketing or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in sales representative, preferred in same industry
- 1-2 years of management experience
- Strong intrapersonal skills
- Familiarity with data analysis and reporting
- Exceptional understanding of sales and marketing
- Proven ability to learn and understand company policies and procedures
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure preferred
- Persistent and dependable a bonus
Go-Go Marketing and Sales, Inc. was founded in July of 2005. Since then we have worked hard to provide our clients with innovative sales and marketing strategies. In the past decade, we have expanded our market from the north-west to the entire western region of the country. As our business continues to grow, we still strive to give every one of our clients the personalized service they have come to expect from Go-Go Marketing and Sales, Inc.
Best Practices for Writing a Job Description
- The above Marketing and Sales Manager job description sample is a great place for you to start with your own job description. However, you want to make sure that you create a unique document. Use the following best practice tips to make sure you create a job opening post that will help you attract the most qualified candidates:
- Create a post that is easy to read by incorporating bullet points. Many candidates are busy, so you want to make sure they will be able to easily glean important information.
- Show off the company culture in the profile section. You can do this by including the mission statement, history, customer-base and culture information.
- Keep your entire post short by being concise in every section. Your summary should be one to three sentences. The responsibilities section should have five to 10 points. Your requirements section should have enough scope to clearly define the nature of the job.
- Include salary and benefit information because it can make your post more competitive. However, be sure to check your company policies before you include this type of potentially sensitive information.
- Avoid creating a title that is too long. Keep your position title at fewer than five words.
- Make contact easy by including clear contact information. This will help applicant’s get their questions answered and it will make application that much smoother.
Use the Marketing and Sales Manager job description sample as a starting point, but don’t forget to make the description your own. Include details that are unique to your company and the open position to make it more competitive. Taking the time to create a clear post now will help you find the best talent later.
Marketing and Sales Manager Job Responsibilities
Organizations need to manage expectations about the duties of the position with job applicants. The marketing and sales manager job responsibilities outline what the expectations are to become a successful leader or team member. By laying out the core duties, this information helps get the company and the applicant on the same page.
The job responsibilities section should be the most substantial component of the marketing and sales manager job description. To make it easy to access and read, use 6-8 bullet points to describe the position. Start off each sentence with active verbs to pull the applicant into the realities of the tasks at hand. Make sure to focus on the most important parts of the position; leave off any tasks like attending meetings or taking notes that most office jobs require.
Use the sample responsibilities below to craft your marketing and sales manager job description:
- Review data from lead generation software to determine and implement sales strategies with representatives
- Complete market research to determine competition and opportunities for growth
- Monitor sales performance and align marketing initiatives with high-impact customers
- Brainstorm and implement digital and print marketing initiatives with the executive team
- Work closely with creative teams to generate website content, graphics, print collateral and promotional materials
- Provide forecasts and budgets to communicate sales goals each quarter
Marketing and Sales Manager Job Specifications
It is wise to include a job qualifications and skills section to identify the candidate with the right background. Outlining the organization’s needs in the marketing and sales manager job description helps hiring managers spend less administrative time reviewing resumes from unqualified applicants.
To get the most out of your marketing and sales manager job description, talk with a director or supervisor to get a clear picture of what the organization expects of managers. If specific industry experience is a requirement, then indicate that in the list. Make sure to separate any preferred qualifications that are helpful to have from any required skills. Also, use this area to add any education or certification requirements. Soft skills such as interpersonal and communication abilities are also important, so include this information in the list.
Here are inside marketing and sales manager job specifications that you can use as samples for your requirements:
- Bachelor’s in marketing or another business discipline; MBA preferred
- 5+ years of experience in a marketing department
- Excellent presentation abilities with executives, peers and direct reports
- Solid analytical skills and the ability to generate charts and reports on sales data
- Good attention to detail, with the capacity to handle cross-team communication and tasks