When you need to write a solid marriage and family therapist job description, you should review what people do in this job. Marriage and family therapists provide treatment to families and couples. They help people cope with tough situations within the family unit, such as substance abuse, trauma or divorce.
Marriage and family therapists must have a postgraduate degree in counseling or psychology to be qualified for employment. They need to be licensed in the state where the position is located. They also need to have completed an internship as part of their graduate educational experience.
People who succeed in this role need to possess strong interpersonal skills and excellent listening skills. A good marriage and family therapist should also be highly organized and empathetic. In the marriage and family therapist job description template below, you can get even more ideas about what to write.
Marriage and Family Therapist Job Summary
Our facility is currently hiring a licensed marriage and family therapist to join our group counseling team. We are looking for someone who has a client-focused approach to the treatment of families and couples in committed relationships. If you are skilled and experienced in helping family units work together to overcome serious problems and communicate better, this may be the right place for you. As a therapist in our center, you would be supporting a variety of clients on your caseload and providing therapy and other services to help them heal. Utilize your commitment to making life better for others and improving relationships with us.
- Talk to clients about their problems and investigate their feelings about certain topics related to their relationships with their significant other or other family members
- Provide weekly counseling services to families and couples dealing with problems such as divorce, custody issues, abuse, mental illness and financial problems
- Empower clients to discover their own methods of coping, and help them develop strategies to deal with conflict on a daily basis
- Manage clients on a caseload and develop appropriate treatment services for each individual situation
- Collaborate with other professionals in the mental health industry, such as psychiatrists, counselors and school support staff to create the best treatment options for clients
- Evaluate and observe children during court-mandated sessions to make recommendations for family custody issues
- Assist clients with finding resources to help support their progress, such as referring them to housing services, financial assistance and other benefits
- Educate other professionals in various industries for company professional development days to help employees manage stress in life
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in marriage and family therapy or another closely related subject
- Professional state license in therapy
- Completion of an internship program in marriage and family therapy
- Personable and compassionate personality
- Experience providing counseling services to families
- Ability to work on-call weekends and nights
A well-written marriage and family therapist job description can help you attract better candidates for your company. The more specific your job posting is, the easier it will be to match your organization’s needs to the right individual.
Professional therapists often seek work through networking sites and through industry job boards. They may rely on their personal and professional contacts to secure a great job as well. Additionally, most jobseekers across industries use popular job boards to find their next career opportunity. The problem is how long it could take to individually post to each board, so you should look for resources to help you post more effectively. MightyRecruiter is your company’s way to post jobs for free and find better job candidates effortlessly.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter