The task of transporting large volumes of materials falls to material moving workers. These individuals operate the heavy machinery needed to move freight, construction supplies and/or raw materials. They may work on construction sites, with excavating companies, in warehouses or at industrial plants.
Of course, one seeking to work as a material mover must know how to operate the machinery required to perform his or her job function. As the material moving worker job description shows, candidates who don’t already possess that skill must be willing to learn it through on-the-job training promptly after being hired.
Working with large quantities of raw materials often presents significant risks. Thus, applicants should also know (or be willing to quickly learn) industry safety standards. Use the material moving worker job description as your guide when deciding exactly what job requirements to include in your listing.
Material Moving Worker Job Summary
How would you like to play a vital role in the growth of our community? We’re a residential contracting company that’s looking for a material moving worker to help us as we work with local home builders to build new housing developments. Your work will be the first step in building new homes and apartment units. You’ll work primarily with our site supervisor, marking dig sites and excavating the area to prepare for foundational work. On top of the skills you’ll acquire as you develop and build upon your understanding of architectural design, residential building codes and the use of heavy equipment and machinery, you’ll cultivate networking relationships with utility service providers and material haulers as you coordinate with them in the early stages of community development.
- Run excavator at residential building plots to remove dirt, gravel, large rocks and other sediments to create foundation sites
- Coordinate with gas, electric, cable, water and wastewater utility providers prior to excavation jobs to map out sites for subterranean cabling and pipe work
- Review architectural designs to mark off plot lines and determine foundation depths for unit to be built
- Work with internal resource management team to arrange for the transport of all excavating equipment to and from job sites
- Arrange for storage and transportation containers to either retain excavated materials to use elsewhere on a build or to move to other locations
- Assist front office personnel in negotiating the sale of excavated materials from job sites to service providers for re-use
- Inform site supervisor of all equipment left on at a job site at the end of a day, and ensure that all machinery is locked prior to leaving
- Troubleshoot issues with excavating equipment and schedule maintenance appointments with repair providers when needed
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be certified to operate excavating equipment (or obtain certification license within three months of hire)
- Must be comfortable working in a variety of weather conditions
- Previous work experience in excavation or construction
- Familiarity with residential building codes and excavating permit criteria
Want to use this job description?
Material Moving Worker Job Responsibilities
You do not want jobseekers to passively read your material moving worker job description. You want to engage the reader with a meaty section, which makes qualified applicants more likely to send in a resume after reading what the position entails. Applicants should be capable of seeing themselves in the role after reading the list of responsibilities the position is accountable for.
Typically, you do not want any more than eight material moving worker job responsibilities. There is no need to create an exhaustive overview of everything the job entails. You simply want to provide a general picture so jobseekers have a good idea of what to expect on the first day if hired. In terms of formatting, you should list every responsibility with its own bullet point. You also want to begin every bullet point with an active verb. Use the present tense to make the statements more impactful.
If you do not know where to begin, then here are a few common tasks to list on a material moving worker job description.
* Inspect materials for signs of damage before shipping
Material Moving Worker Job Specifications
Listing relevant skills in a material moving worker job description is more than simply a laundry list of what you would like to see in applicants. It should include qualifications mandatory for completing the responsibilities successfully. If that means listing a certain level of education, then that is what you should include. You do not want to receive resumes from people who lack the fundamental skillsets to achieve great things in this position.
If you are unsure what material moving worker job specifications would be good to include, then you should consider reading through similar job descriptions. It can give you a sense of what other hiring managers look for. You can also speak with people at your organization. Talking to current material moving workers only takes a few minutes, and you will get a much better sense of what skills allow a person to do this line of work successfully.
You want to list the qualifications in your material moving worker job description in a bulleted list, similar to the example provided below:
High school diploma or GED Capable of handling powerful and potentially dangerous machinery Problem-solving skills Coordination and ability to work as part of a team Able to conduct quality control analyses Familiarity with creating spreadsheets