Materials engineers are responsible for the design, development, processing and testing of materials used to create numerous products for a variety of industries. These professionals carefully study the structures and properties of plastics, metals, nanometals, composites and various other substances to create new materials designed to meet electrical, mechanical and chemical needs. Materials engineers also assist in the selection of materials for different products and come up with new uses for existing materials.
If you are writing a materials engineer job description, there are some abilities you will want to mention. For example, these engineers must have great problem solving and analytical skills to understand issues with materials and develop new and better ones.
Additionally, materials engineers utilize mathematical methods for design, analysis and troubleshooting, so mathematical skills are a must. Use the materials engineer job description template below to get ideas of how your description should look.
Materials Engineer Job Summary
Do you have a strong scientific background and a knack for creativity and solving problems? If so, you would fit in excellently as a materials engineer with our company. As a member of our team of skilled engineers, you will have the opportunity to study and research various substances, improve existing materials and develop new ones with new and innovative properties. You will combine your creativity with your team members’ to solve complex issues, select materials for products and develop new and exciting ideas. If you want to be part of a company comprised of hard work and ingenuity, this is the job for you.
- Review plans for new products and make recommendations for the selection of materials based on design objectives, such as heat resistance, strength, weight and cost
- Conduct tests on raw materials and finished products to ensure they meet quality standards and specifications
- Prepare budgets and proposals, write reports and analyze labor costs and ensure all projects remain within budget
- Plan and conduct laboratory operations for the development of fabrication procedures and materials that meet specifications and standards
- Analyze product issues and failure data to better understand the causes of problems and come up with better and more innovative solutions
- Guide and supervise technical staff members during the material development process and ensure work is done correctly and safely
- Consult with corporate executives and other engineering professionals as necessary to plan and assess new projects and their objectives
- Modify the properties of substances such as metal alloys by utilizing mechanical and thermal treatments
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in materials engineering or a related engineering field
- Strong knowledge of fundamental chemistry and polymeric materials
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong computer abilities
- One to five years of experience in materials engineering
- Experience with plastic product design
- Solid knowledge of CAD
- Previous experience leading a team
Materials Engineer Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers decide whether to apply to your open position through reviewing the materials engineer job responsibilities section. It generally is the section with the most information in your job posting. Through reading this section, jobseekers gain a strong understanding of the expected duties and daily tasks in the position. Disinterested and unqualified candidates know not to apply. Therefore, you benefit through receiving more applicable and qualified candidates for the position.
As previously discussed, bullet points make it easy for jobseekers to skim the posting. Since most jobseekers spend less than a minute reading through a materials engineer job description, you need to compose a skim-friendly post. To attract candidates, make it easy to imagine undertaking the job. You do this through using strong action verbs and incorporating key deliverables. It also helps to include exciting projects and define where the role fits into the company structure.
Below are some examples of duties to include on your materials engineer job description to get you started:
- Recommend materials for products based on designs and incorporating features such as weight, strength, conductivity and cost
- Analyze product test results to identify problems and devise actionable solutions
- Evaluate product material for durability and performance
- Test raw materials for quality control purposes to ensure product consistency
Materials Engineer Job Specifications
Although the job qualifications and skills section of your material engineer job description is short, it is by no means unimportant. In fact, it is arguably one of the most important sections. It is here where you detail the materials engineer job specifications to ensure you find the right applicants.
To attract qualified candidates, list the essential criteria for the position, which might include education, training, certifications, technical skills and soft skills. Jobseekers review this information and judge their own abilities to determine if they should apply. For a strong materials engineer job description, make sure you focus on the basic requirements for the job. If there are some items that you would like but that are not essential, add them to a preferred section.
You might need to spend some time acquainting yourself with the roles and duties expected from the position to determine what to include in this section. Talking with other staff members provides you with feedback about which qualifications your future employee will need to be successful.
The following provides some ideas on what to include in your materials engineer job description:
- BS in materials engineering or related field; master’s preferred
- 4-6 years of experience
- Certified in NDT
- Six-sigma certification preferred