Materials engineers are responsible for the design, development, processing and testing of materials used to create numerous products for a variety of industries. These professionals carefully study the structures and properties of plastics, metals, nanometals, composites and various other substances to create new materials designed to meet electrical, mechanical and chemical needs. Materials engineers also assist in the selection of materials for different products and come up with new uses for existing materials.
If you are writing a materials engineer job description, there are some abilities you will want to mention. For example, these engineers must have great problem solving and analytical skills to understand issues with materials and develop new and better ones.
Additionally, materials engineers utilize mathematical methods for design, analysis and troubleshooting, so mathematical skills are a must. Use the materials engineer job description template below to get ideas of how your description should look.
Materials Engineer Job Summary
Do you have a strong scientific background and a knack for creativity and solving problems? If so, you would fit in excellently as a materials engineer with our company. As a member of our team of skilled engineers, you will have the opportunity to study and research various substances, improve existing materials and develop new ones with new and innovative properties. You will combine your creativity with your team members’ to solve complex issues, select materials for products and develop new and exciting ideas. If you want to be part of a company comprised of hard work and ingenuity, this is the job for you.
- Review plans for new products and make recommendations for the selection of materials based on design objectives, such as heat resistance, strength, weight and cost
- Conduct tests on raw materials and finished products to ensure they meet quality standards and specifications
- Prepare budgets and proposals, write reports and analyze labor costs and ensure all projects remain within budget
- Plan and conduct laboratory operations for the development of fabrication procedures and materials that meet specifications and standards
- Analyze product issues and failure data to better understand the causes of problems and come up with better and more innovative solutions
- Guide and supervise technical staff members during the material development process and ensure work is done correctly and safely
- Consult with corporate executives and other engineering professionals as necessary to plan and assess new projects and their objectives
- Modify the properties of substances such as metal alloys by utilizing mechanical and thermal treatments
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in materials engineering or a related engineering field
- Strong knowledge of fundamental chemistry and polymeric materials
- Excellent analytical skills
- Strong computer abilities
- One to five years of experience in materials engineering
- Experience with plastic product design
- Solid knowledge of CAD
- Previous experience leading a team
If you want to attract exceptional candidates, it is essential that you write a detailed materials engineer job description that thoroughly covers the crucial areas. Once you have completed step one in the journey, it is time to make use of various platforms to make sure your job description reaches your target audience. Use your company website to get your description out there and to send potential employees a message about your mission and company culture. Take referrals from your employees and use your social networks as well.
You will also want to take to the job boards online to ensure your description is seen. Job boards are highly valuable, but it can be a bit time consuming if you plan on posting to many. Fortunately, you can cut that time down by using MightyRecruiter to post to numerous job boards at the same time for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter