Math teachers educate students ranging from elementary school to high school. Every day, they are expected to instruct their students in mathematic curriculum that will eventually lead to their preparation for college entrance exams such as the SATs. They are also expected to teach their pupils in ways that will capture their attention and allow them to enjoy the subject matter.
You’ll need to highlight requirements in your math teacher job description, such as a bachelor’s degree. Priority is usually given to candidates who have obtained their degree in education with a specialty in mathematics. No matter the case, experience in the subject matter is required.
Math teachers are faced with the job of helping their students’ problem solve and have the ability to complete mathematical concepts. Check out the math teacher job description template below to have a better idea of elements you can include in your personal write-up.
Math Teacher Job Summary
Are you looking for a math teacher position where seeing students succeed doesn’t stop at the classroom door? Right School is looking for a passionate math teacher for the 2017/2018 school year who will not only teach students mathematics but also represent the school on and off campus. You will have the opportunity to implement mathematical programs that build the knowledge and confidence of your students and see their growth. You will also utilize your interpersonal skills as you act as a liaison between the principal and vice principal, and parents and guardians to ensure comments and concerns are communicated and resolved in a timely fashion. If you enjoy positively influencing the lives of children while pursuing a gratifying career, this is the job for you.
- Ensure your pupils achieve learning outcomes that are above average in the subject of mathematics by instructing students in a clear, concise and fun way, and regularly preparing lesson plans that are engaging and incorporate the curriculum
- Incorporate the school’s objectives into your curriculum by remaining up to date with mission and initiatives
- Attend staff development days to improve your skills and receive help and feedback from colleagues
- Regularly communicate with parents and legal guardians regarding child’s performance, track and record student progress and keep records up to date for progress reports and report card conferences
- Review curriculum needs and execute plans for improvement, and provide tutoring and additional support
- Act as a role model by making your students feel motivated while maintaining an approachable personality
- Attend school events to better understand student interest and personalities outside of the regular classroom, build strong relationships with your students and aid in the strengthening of their self-confidence while inspiring them to achieve high goals
- Perform other duties and tasks as assigned
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in education or related field
- Expertise in the field of mathematics
- Experience teaching in a classroom environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with all staff and colleagues
- Flexibility and high adaptation skills to work successfully in an unpredictable school setting
- Organization and communication skills
- Master’s degree
Math Teacher Job Responsibilities
Writing a math teacher job description can be challenging because there is so much a teacher does in the course of a school year. Split up the task of writing the description into sections to make the job easier. The part of the job description with the most content is the job responsibilities section. Stick with sharing the most important tasks in each of the main areas such as course preparation, instruction, student evaluation and communication.
Make sure to mention the core deliverables of the position within the responsibility list. Also, include any important areas of responsibility that are unique to this position. Make sure to format your list with bullet points for optimal readability, and include at least six but no more than eight points.
Take a look at the following math teacher job responsibilities that can help you write your unique description:
- Prepare lesson plans that engage, stimulate and instruct students
- Instruct students based on the district-approved curriculum and utilize available instructional technologies in the classroom
- Regularly evaluate student performance, monitoring for achievement of state graduation standards
- Maintain open communication with parents and guardians regarding their student’s progress
- Use disciplinary standards consistent with school guidelines
- Meet state requirements for professional development in education on an ongoing basis
Math Teacher Job Specifications
Schools often get many applications from unqualified jobseekers because the qualifications and skills section of the posting is not clear enough. To make sure that your math teacher job description reads understandably, use bullets to draw attention to lists and arrange the content so that the most important point is first.
To further organize the qualifications and skills section, make two lists, one for required competencies, and the other for those you prefer. This distinction will lessen confusion about what specifications are essential to the job. Be sure to include required education and certification for the position as well as years of experience needed. Add skills that are necessary for success in the position. The preferred specifications list will give the prospective applicant an idea of the education, skills and qualities that will give their application extra weight.
To get an idea of how to write this section of your math teacher job description, see the following examples:
- A minimum of five years teaching experience in middle school or secondary level education
- Ability to integrate classroom technology into instructional methodology
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for interaction with students, staff and parents
- Additional training in Common Core curriculum alignment is a plus