Much of the work that goes into getting fresh meat to market is done by trained meat packers. These professionals use their understanding of butchery to prepare various cuts of meat for packaging. They’ll often utilize industrial kitchen equipment, cutting and weighing items to client specifications. In some cases, they may be involved in the slaughter of livestock prior to their preparation work.
As you review the meat packer job description template provided here in advance of creating your own listing, keep in mind the skills that you want your candidates to possess. A working knowledge of butchery and/or food handling is important, along with a familiarity with commercial kitchen equipment.
As food packaging and preparation guidelines can be quite complex, you’ll also want to ensure that applicants fully understand them. The meat packer job description will show you how to best list this as a job qualification.
Meat Packer Job Summary
Who wouldn’t like to have a hand in helping to feed the people in their community? Meat packers help ensure that all of the products available in your local grocery store’s meat and deli departments are prepared to safety standards. Our commercial production facility will allow you to work with a manner of materials, including traditional meats such as beef, chicken and pork, as well as more exotic products, like venison and seasonal fish. You’ll report directly to our packaging supervisor, helping to manage inventory and prepare daily work items. Your skills in preparing various cuts of meat will come in handy, as will your knowledge of food safety standards. With your help, we can ensure that local restaurants and residents have fresh and safe meat products on their plates.
- Receive products for butchering, removing bones, sinews and fatty tissues and preparing various cuts of meat in preparation for packaging
- Utilize both industrial-grade cutters and slicers as well as knives and other manual devices in preparing meats of different cuts and textures, all while observing safety requirements
- Review daily work orders for select criteria such as cut, weight and fat content, and develop workflow based off of those requirements
- Prepare specialty items, such as links or ground meats, per customer specifications
- Thoroughly inspect and clean all cuts of meat according to federal regulations and local health department standards prior to packaging
- Convey all prepped items to packaging area and utilize wrapping and packaging equipment to prepare items for pickup and/or delivery
- Coordinate with packaging supervisor at the end of each shift to ensure that all designated orders have been completed and items designated for shipment have either been stored or received
- Work with facility mechanical staff to ensure that all storage areas are functioning according to regulations and maintaining safe internal temperatures
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be 18 years of age
- Current Food Handler’s Permit (or willingness to earn one within six weeks of hire)
- Able to endure potentially strenuous working conditions
- Previous food production or commercial kitchen experience
- Working knowledge of safety issues such as food-borne illnesses, cross contamination risks and workplace safety standards
- Mechanical skills and experience with industrial-grade food preparation equipment
Consider the meat packer job description template included here as a template to help you in creating your own listing. Once that’s been completed, you should turn your attention to exposing your posting to as many potential candidates as possible. Presenting at career fairs or working with local civic job placement programs lines you up with people who are actively engaged in the job hunt. Luring qualified candidates away from other organizations, however, may require more work on your part.
Placing your listing on an online job board allows you to reach those professionals who may be seeking better opportunities. There are literally hundreds of such sites out there, making it difficult for you to research them all. Be enlisting the assistance of services such as MightyRecruiter, you don’t have to. Such a partner can get you access to hundreds of sources of free postings, thus simplifying your search.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter