Mechanical design engineers create, develop and test products such as machines, tools and sensors. They solve problems by applying the principles of physics, chemistry and mechanics to the real world. They also collect data on prototype performance and supervise the manufacturing process for their designs.
To be adequately prepared for the demands of their profession, mechanical design engineers must complete a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. If you would like your candidates to have more experience with any specific disciplines within the field, be sure to say so in your mechanical design engineer job description.
Because their work is centered around testing and adapting multiple versions of their products, mechanical design engineers must be persistent and have strong problem-solving skills. They should also be creative enough to generate innovative ideas and bring them to fruition. Examine the mechanical design engineer job description below for more information.
Mechanical Design Engineer Job Summary
Poseidon’s Powerhouse seeks a mechanical design engineer to help design and test our planned upcoming line of luxury yacht engines. As one of our engineers, you will create dependable, hardworking products befitting our company’s name. You will exercise your creativity and determination every day as you develop prototypes, place them through rigorous testing and release them for manufacturing when they meet or exceed our specifications for product quality and safety. We offer our employees incredible education and training opportunities, so you can get paid to obtain additional certifications that will make you a more versatile engineer. If you are interested in pursuing this outstanding opportunity, contact us today.
- Study plans for upcoming generation of engine models, and develop strategies for improving upon current models
- Design products using CAD, and consult with engineering and manufacturing teammates to ensure that designs are feasible
- Develop and build prototypes and run tests to measure their level of function
- Record and evaluate testing data, altering designs as necessary to bring them to safety, performance and efficiency standards
- Consult with fabrication teams during product manufacturing, advising them on design specifications and providing physical assistance when required
- Research competitor products quarterly and collaborate with product development team to generate ideas for making our products the best ones on the market
- Calculate cost estimates for final product designs, and release reports to supervisors, incorporating costs of labor, material, delivery and overhead
- Attend weekly team meetings to provide progress reports, obtain updates on colleagues’ progress, strategize on steps for following week and acquire information about projected emerging product lines
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited program
- Two years’ experience in a professional engineering position
- Investigative mind inclined toward developing practical solutions to real-world problems
- Proficiency with CAD, SolidWorks and Microsoft Office
- Coursework and experience in engine design, particularly marine engines
- Proficiency with hand tools, power tools and fabrication equipment
Mechanical Design Engineer Job Responsibilities
When writing your mechanical design engineer job description, it is essential to spend the time to craft it correctly. The responsibilities section is a very important section of the description, as it clearly lays out the duties of the position. The goal is to give the jobseeker a clear picture of what a day on the job looks like, pointing out purposeful tasks as opposed to mundane obligations.
One way to make your mechanical design engineer job description easy to read is to use bullet points to list each responsibility. Use strong action verbs to describe each chore, which will give candidates a good idea if they have the skills to perform the job. While you want to give an honest view of the position, try to limit your list to eight points.
Here are some examples you may choose for your mechanical design engineer job responsibilities:
- Collaborate with team regarding electromagnetic and mechanical design concepts and lead functional testing
- Provide technical support during assembly and installation of equipment
- Produce standard designs using CAD software and create assembly prints, mechanical drawings and fabrication specifications
- Modify designs to correct operating and production issues
- Meet with suppliers, clients and project stakeholders to review designs and alter as needed
Mechanical Design Engineer Job Specifications
Even though the responsibilities section is the meat of your mechanical design engineer job description, the skills and qualifications section is just as critical. This part concisely lists the required and preferred qualities job applicants should possess. Being thorough with it ensures that the candidates you consider know what the job entails and possess the skills necessary to do the job well. Your diligence saves you time because it helps narrow down the resumes, as those who are underqualified or overqualified will not apply.
To get a good idea of what to put in this section, speak with another person in the same position or discuss with management what skills are important. For your mechanical design engineer job description, consider education level, years of experience, technical skills, personality traits and professional certifications. List them in bullet points and include 6-8.
The following are common mechanical design engineer job specifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or mechanical engineering
- Minimum of three years of experience in an engineering role
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in 3D CAD systems and FEA
- Effective documentation, presentation and composition skills
- EIT required; PE license preferred
- Experience with designing products using coil punching and sheet steel stamping