Mechanical design engineers create, develop and test products such as machines, tools and sensors. They solve problems by applying the principles of physics, chemistry and mechanics to the real world. They also collect data on prototype performance and supervise the manufacturing process for their designs.
To be adequately prepared for the demands of their profession, mechanical design engineers must complete a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. If you would like your candidates to have more experience with any specific disciplines within the field, be sure to say so in your mechanical design engineer job description.
Because their work is centered around testing and adapting multiple versions of their products, mechanical design engineers must be persistent and have strong problem-solving skills. They should also be creative enough to generate innovative ideas and bring them to fruition. Examine the mechanical design engineer job description below for more information.
Mechanical Design Engineer Job Summary
Poseidon’s Powerhouse seeks a mechanical design engineer to help design and test our planned upcoming line of luxury yacht engines. As one of our engineers, you will create dependable, hardworking products befitting our company’s name. You will exercise your creativity and determination every day as you develop prototypes, place them through rigorous testing and release them for manufacturing when they meet or exceed our specifications for product quality and safety. We offer our employees incredible education and training opportunities, so you can get paid to obtain additional certifications that will make you a more versatile engineer. If you are interested in pursuing this outstanding opportunity, contact us today.
- Study plans for upcoming generation of engine models, and develop strategies for improving upon current models
- Design products using CAD, and consult with engineering and manufacturing teammates to ensure that designs are feasible
- Develop and build prototypes and run tests to measure their level of function
- Record and evaluate testing data, altering designs as necessary to bring them to safety, performance and efficiency standards
- Consult with fabrication teams during product manufacturing, advising them on design specifications and providing physical assistance when required
- Research competitor products quarterly and collaborate with product development team to generate ideas for making our products the best ones on the market
- Calculate cost estimates for final product designs, and release reports to supervisors, incorporating costs of labor, material, delivery and overhead
- Attend weekly team meetings to provide progress reports, obtain updates on colleagues’ progress, strategize on steps for following week and acquire information about projected emerging product lines
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited program
- Two years’ experience in a professional engineering position
- Investigative mind inclined toward developing practical solutions to real-world problems
- Proficiency with CAD, SolidWorks and Microsoft Office
- Coursework and experience in engine design, particularly marine engines
- Proficiency with hand tools, power tools and fabrication equipment
Once you have written your mechanical design engineer job description, you can breathe a sigh of relief—but only for a moment. Next, it is time to let the world know that you are hiring. Of course, after taking the time to craft an outstanding job listing, you want to make sure you distribute it wisely. If you have an established social media presence, you can use your platforms to inform your followers that you are recruiting. You can also ask trusted employees for referrals to improve your chances of finding desirable candidates.
In addition to these recruitment tools, you can find more applicants by using job boards. The prospect of posting your job to one board after another may seem unpleasant, but you have a better option. MightyRecruiter does all the work for you so you can post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at the same time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter