A mechanical drafter utilizes manual methods and/or computer-aided drafting programs to translate design information and specifications from engineers into schematics, technical drawings and production plans. This aids in the manufacturing of specialized tools and equipment.
Technical proficiency with several drafting methods is one of the most important aspects of a mechanical drafter job description. You may specify a combination of formal education and certification along with practical work experience. Mechanical drafters should also have a basic understanding of engineering principles and the manufacturing process.
A mechanical drafter should display a strong grasp of mathematical concepts as well as attention to detail and good communication skills. Candidates should also be able to meet strict deadlines with accurate results. Use the mechanical drafter job description template below to get more ideas of requirements to include in your own job listing.
Mechanical Drafter Job Summary
Are you looking for a chance to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment that will utilize your creative abilities and CAD skills? We are looking for a dedicated and accurate mechanical drafter with an interest in mechanical engineering and a self-motivated attitude. You will be working with our expert engineering teams to create a variety of technical drawings and digital models and will be able to contribute to the design process as well. We foster a positive and encouraging work atmosphere and offer plenty of opportunities for on-the-job mentoring and practical experience with several departments, including manufacturing and project management. Join our team and enjoy competitive pay and benefits as well as the chance to further your professional education and career prospects.
- Create technical drawings, manufacturing schematics, and 2D and 3D digital models of mechanical equipment designs, using measurements, specifications and additional data from engineering team
- Collect initial drawings, calculations and design ideas from engineers, and combine all relevant data into coherent and complete initial design models for review and modification
- Coordinate directly with engineers and project managers to understand project requirements, verify design details and recommend modifications as needed according to company standards and best practices
- Annotate and verify all numerical designations and specifications in technical drawings and schematics, using both CAD programs and manual calculations when necessary
- Communicate with manufacturing personnel to create detailed layouts prior to production, and assist in designing, creating and testing production molds
- Provide support to engineering team as needed by creating technical drawings and digital models within deadlines and utilizing multiple methods to ensure deliverables include all relevant design details
- Assist in ongoing project to standardize and unify design document standards by participating in meetings and preparing presentation materials as necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree in drafting
- Proficient with AutoCAD Civil 3D and CADWorx
- Excellent technical communication skills with engineers and manufacturing personnel
- Strong attention to detail and mathematical abilities
- Able to work within strict deadlines
- Professional certification in mechanical drafting
- Experience with mechanical manufacturing process
Mechanical Drafter Job Responsibilities
In a job description, it is essential to communicate the duties of the position accurately so the jobseeker understands the level of expertise and performance that you expect. The job responsibilities section of your mechanical drafter job description should be the most in-depth part of the document and should list the important areas and duties for which the employee will be responsible. You don’t need to list every single daily task, such as checking email and attending meetings. Rather, use between six and eight bullet points to outline essential job responsibilities.
Well-written bullet points make this section easy to read and help the jobseeker get a thorough understanding of the daily responsibilities and overall goals of the position. In your mechanical drafter job description, make sure you start your bullet points with specific action verbs and focus on the most important and specialized aspects of the job.
Here are some examples of mechanical drafter job responsibilities:
- Develop 2D drawings of design specifications for mechanical equipment and components to assist in planning and production
- Use CAD programs to combine schematics and design data into accurate 3D models
- Analyze design documents and plans to verify dimensions and materials and coordinate with engineers to resolve any errors
- Assist engineers during initial planning by creating on-the-fly design sketches and models for analysis and modification
- Collaborate with engineers, production technicians and clients as necessary to identify design problems and develop effective solutions
Mechanical Drafter Job Specifications
While the responsibilities section of the job description may be the longest, the qualifications and skills section is just as important. This is where you can lay out the exact requirements the ideal candidate should meet. Mechanical drafting requires many unique technical skills and a specific educational background. Providing an exact list of requirements in a mechanical drafter job description helps ensure you will receive applications from highly trained and qualified candidates.
Before you sit down to write your mechanical drafter job description, you should meet with the hiring manager or committee to develop a set of required skills. You want to make sure your final list is accurate and realistic so it’s easier to determine when candidates are overqualified or under-prepared. It’s also a good idea to break your list into “required” versus “preferred” skills, as this ensures that the hiring manager and jobseeker both have the same understanding of what is necessary for the position.
Read through these sample mechanical drafter job specifications to find inspiration for your own list:
- Proficient with AutoCAD, rapid prototyping software, SAP, and Adobe LiveMotion
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical drafting, or CAD certification plus 2 years of relevant work experience
- Solid understanding of product design and mechanical engineering principles
- Accurate, organized and able to work with minimal supervision
- Capable of developing schematics and models of individual components as well as complete architecture