A mechanical drafter utilizes manual methods and/or computer-aided drafting programs to translate design information and specifications from engineers into schematics, technical drawings and production plans. This aids in the manufacturing of specialized tools and equipment.
Technical proficiency with several drafting methods is one of the most important aspects of a mechanical drafter job description. You may specify a combination of formal education and certification along with practical work experience. Mechanical drafters should also have a basic understanding of engineering principles and the manufacturing process.
A mechanical drafter should display a strong grasp of mathematical concepts as well as attention to detail and good communication skills. Candidates should also be able to meet strict deadlines with accurate results. Use the mechanical drafter job description template below to get more ideas of requirements to include in your own job listing.
Mechanical Drafter Job Summary
Are you looking for a chance to work in a fast-paced and challenging environment that will utilize your creative abilities and CAD skills? We are looking for a dedicated and accurate mechanical drafter with an interest in mechanical engineering and a self-motivated attitude. You will be working with our expert engineering teams to create a variety of technical drawings and digital models and will be able to contribute to the design process as well. We foster a positive and encouraging work atmosphere and offer plenty of opportunities for on-the-job mentoring and practical experience with several departments, including manufacturing and project management. Join our team and enjoy competitive pay and benefits as well as the chance to further your professional education and career prospects.
- Create technical drawings, manufacturing schematics, and 2D and 3D digital models of mechanical equipment designs, using measurements, specifications and additional data from engineering team
- Collect initial drawings, calculations and design ideas from engineers, and combine all relevant data into coherent and complete initial design models for review and modification
- Coordinate directly with engineers and project managers to understand project requirements, verify design details and recommend modifications as needed according to company standards and best practices
- Annotate and verify all numerical designations and specifications in technical drawings and schematics, using both CAD programs and manual calculations when necessary
- Communicate with manufacturing personnel to create detailed layouts prior to production, and assist in designing, creating and testing production molds
- Provide support to engineering team as needed by creating technical drawings and digital models within deadlines and utilizing multiple methods to ensure deliverables include all relevant design details
- Assist in ongoing project to standardize and unify design document standards by participating in meetings and preparing presentation materials as necessary
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Associate degree in drafting
- Proficient with AutoCAD Civil 3D and CADWorx
- Excellent technical communication skills with engineers and manufacturing personnel
- Strong attention to detail and mathematical abilities
- Able to work within strict deadlines
- Professional certification in mechanical drafting
- Experience with mechanical manufacturing process
Once you’ve created a thorough and persuasive mechanical drafter job description, the next step is to decide where to post it to attract the most qualified and motivated jobseekers. Posting in the right locations can greatly reduce the amount of time it takes to find, interview and hire the right candidate. Most recruiters choose to advertise job openings in several online areas.
Between free and paid online job boards, multiple professional social networks and your company’s official website, you can find hundreds of options for posting your job listing. You may even send it to your current employees to encourage them to recommend candidates from their own networks of professional colleagues. Working through all these options can yield excellent results but can be time-consuming as well. Using MightyRecruiter is the most efficient way to post jobs for free to multiple online job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter