When it’s time find new individuals to join your organization, you want to make sure you use the best resources that help limit the time spent on this task. Employers don’t always have an extensive human resources team, so many business owners take on all hiring responsibilities themselves. Now that most people use the Internet for potential jobs, you have to find ways to use this tool to help bring the best and most talented people to you. One recommended way to help direct the best people in the industry to your doorstep is to write a great job description. If you don’t know how to write a good job posting, you can use a standard example that is customized for the position you need filled in your industry. The mechanical engineer sample job description written below can help you work to start finding the right person for your open job.
Mechanical Engineer Job Description Summary
A mechanical engineer works with the laws of physics to help design procedures, products and machinery to make things more efficient and more functional. The person in this position works throughout the conceptual stage, the design process, the testing phase and finally when something is ready for production. Using the principles and knowledge of mechanical structures, electronic systems and the forces of motion, this person strives to ensure quality and purpose in all materials. Mechanical engineers may work with a group of individuals during the process of manufacturing including other types of engineers, machine manufacturers and suppliers.
Mechanical Engineer Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assess all mechanical plans and procedures as well as electrical processes in order to ensure maximum productivity; use knowledge regarding motion, mechanics and materials to assist.
- Design a way to test the parameters of systems in order to understand the limitations of a product.
- Create company materials by using the principles of mechanical engineering; use customer input and product specifications to achieve this.
- Build methods of manufacturing by developing machinery that can fulfill tasks efficiently; use parts to assemble new equipment or adjust existing machines.
- Lead the testing and product quality assurance system by designing procedures to ensure all problems are noted and addressed.
- Present information to company leaders about each product line or manufacturing process.
- Follow all local and federal compliance rules in order to preserve the company’s good standing.
- Help maintain all equipment that the company uses by keeping accurate records of repair, maintenance and sale.
- Compile data about products in a shared computer software program.
- Assist with mentoring new employees as well as others on your team during project task completion.
- Strive to continue to work on developing new skills and knowledge within the industry by attending seminars, reading professional publications and leading conferences.
- Work with company leaders in order to develop new ways of increasing profit and reducing waste within the organization.
Mechanical Engineer Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
- 3 or more years of experience in a similar position
- Proficiency in computer software programs related to general office tasks, design and programming
- Knowledge about all aspects of physics and engineering
- Strong knowledge of mechanics and electromechanical systems
- Solid leadership and time management skills
Heinrich Tools United is a world-renowned leader in the production and manufacturing of high quality tools for the home repairman or professional contractor. Since our inception in 1912, we have carved out a solid reputation with our consumers and the construction industry as producing high quality materials and tools. We are known for a forever guarantee on any and all of our products because we are that confident in our production methods. As technology advances, we are working to incorporate more high tech features into our classic tools to make jobs and building go quicker and be easier. What is most important, though, is that our products maintain the highest standard in the industry. When one of our tools is purchased, the expectation is that it will last a lifetime.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- Once you’ve decided on the way you want to write your mechanical engineer job posting, you should start making an outline. Here are some other things to consider:
- Don’t write your posting too quickly.
- Don’t worry about salary details at first.
- Do include an authentic list of duties.
- Do use strong action verbs.
Compare your final write up to the mechanical engineer sample job description when you’re done. This can be a great tool to lead you through the writing process.
Mechanical Engineer Job Responsibilities
Composing the list of a mechanical engineer’s core responsibilities is one of the most important aspects of drafting a job description. The job responsibilities section carries heavy weight, so remember to build context for jobseekers by laying out clearly what you expect the employee to do in the position. When you include comprehensive details in the mechanical engineer job description, candidates can more easily understand the scope of responsibility and decide whether to pursue the opportunity.
Additionally, research keywords for “mechanical engineer” and include those in the list of responsibilities. For example, a brief search reveals “mechanical engineering” as the number one keyword, alongside “maintenance” and “design engineering,” which appear second and third, respectively. For your ad to have better search engine results and a stronger chance of qualified candidates finding it, include these specific words in the mechanical engineer job description.
Beyond describing specifics and incorporating keywords, also consider including the following in your mechanical engineer job responsibilities:
- Perform mechanical engineering duties, which include equipment design, installation and maintenance
- Evaluate current technologies to assess efficiency and safety, and then redesign them as needed for improved performance
- Justify design approaches and document the requirements for each
- Prototype equipment to design engineering specifications
Mechanical Engineer Job Specifications
In today’s world, mechanical engineers must be team players who collaborate with their colleagues to improve processes and products. When you compose the job qualifications and skills section in the mechanical engineer job description, clarify the extent of collaboration your company expects of its engineers. Because the purpose for listing specifications is to outline details of your requirements, don’t hesitate to make your expectations clear. The clearer the specified criteria are, the better chance you have to connect with applicants who meet the qualifications for the job.
Before writing up the qualifications and skills list for the mechanical engineer job description, stop to consider exactly what you hope a candidate brings to the table. Would you hire someone with only an associate’s degree, provided he or she has extensive experience on the job; or is a bachelor’s degree the absolute minimum you’ll accept? Thinking through your “required” and “preferred” qualifications is worth the time, making it easier for applicants to decide how aggressively to pursue the opportunity.
Some examples of mechanical engineer job specifications follow:
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or a related degree
- 5+ years of experience as a mechanical engineer
- Team player who collaborates well with both colleagues and clients for maximum quality throughout the production process
- Well-versed engineer capable of reading blueprints, developing production plans and modeling prototypes
- Proven expertise in computer-aided design and drafting (CADD)