With the medical and health services manager job description template provided here, you’ll see exactly how to craft and create a job posting that’s both appealing and enticing to candidates. You’ll rely on a manager to fulfill such tasks as improving overall health services efficiency and creating departmental goals.
Medical and health services managers fill administrative roles in healthcare facilities. In some instances, they may manage small outpatient clinics, while in others, they may be tasked with leading entire departments or facilities within a large healthcare network. Their primary role is to handle all non-clinical tasks to help ensure clinical providers have the resources needed to deliver patient care.
Strong leadership skills are required to manage healthcare operations and ensure compliance with federal regulations. The medical and health services manager job description template shows you how to solicit such skills through a job listing.
Medical and Health Services Manager Job Summary
Our organization is seeking an experienced medical and health services manager to help continue our tradition of providing outstanding care to the members of our local communities. Specifically, our ambulatory surgical center offers a team of esteemed clinical and non-clinical professionals looking for a leader to help guide and direct them in meeting the needs of patients while also incorporating new technologies into our daily workflow. In this position, you’ll report directly to our regional chief medical officer and have access to all the resources and support of our entire healthcare network. You’ll have the opportunity to direct all your facility’s marketing and community outreach efforts and to coordinate with local institutions of higher learning to coordinate groundbreaking research.
- Direct the daily operations of ambulatory surgical center, coordinating clinical workflow and supervising all financial and resource management
- Coordinate with clinical department managers to ensure continuous access to safe and sterile surgical suites and that preparation and recovery areas have the resources required to care for patients and their families
- Work with inventory management teams and financial analysts in ordering and maintaining sufficient volumes of surgical equipment and supplies
- Develop marketing strategies and community outreach programs in conjunction with public relation team
- Supervise the negotiations between contracting department and insurance providers to help guarantee reimbursement is sufficient to cover the costs of patient care
- Delegate tasks to appropriate clinical and non-clinical department managers as appropriate
- Participate in discussions with clinical researchers looking for sponsorship or partnership opportunities to advance medical research projects
- Prepare and deliver status and progress reports to executive board detailing operational efficiencies and progression towards corporate initiatives, as well as identifying areas needing improvement and suggestions for asset reallocations
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business or healthcare administration, accounting, or related field from accredited four-year institution
- Five years of experience in management or corporate planning
- Two years of experience in corporate finance and resource management
- Demonstrated leadership and communication skills
- Master’s degree
- Prior experience in healthcare management or clinical operations
- Working knowledge of healthcare regulatory compliance standards
Medical and Health Services Manager Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers interested in an open position rely on the job responsibilities section in a description when deciding whether to apply. This section of a medical and health services manager job description should detail the daily duties and gesture toward the broad objectives of this position. You can attract more ambitious and qualified candidates by striking the right balance between the day-to-day aspects and long-range goals of this position.
A disorganized or unnecessarily complicated list of job responsibilities can discourage even the most determined applicants. Use bullet points to break down the aspects of this position into easily digestible duties, and include no more than eight points in this portion of your medical and health services manager job description. Start each line with an action verb to keep the focus on specific actions that a future manager should anticipate performing. This can also help to keep you from overloading any one point.
Here are several medical and health services manager job responsibilities:
- Oversee medical and health services for clinics, health agencies, hospitals or specialists
- Allocate resources and services to improve efficiency and quality of care
- Supervise work activities of medical professionals and healthcare personnel
- Maintain digital record management systems for entering, processing and securely storing data
- Facilitate communication between top-level governing bodies and facility leadership
Medical and Health Services Manager Job Specifications
A medical and health services manager job description should also include a job qualifications and skills section for this position. This portion of the description should provide potential applicants with a sense of the background, experience and skills they should bring to this position. Clearly communicating these requirements may help to reduce the number of applications you receive who lack the most fundamental qualifications.
It is advisable to establish a shared sense of the basic and ideal qualifications for this position with the leadership or governing body of the health organization seeking a medical and health services manager. Once you have a sense of the background that a competitive candidate should have, strive to make these specifications easy for applicants to read and determine whether to apply.
Prioritize the most absolute requirements for this position and move down through more general specifications. You may want to include a separate section with optional or preferred qualifications. This can encourage applicants to read this part of a medical and health services manager job description carefully to make sure they meet the minimum standards before looking for ways to set themselves apart in their cover letter and resume.
Consider the following examples of medical and health services manager job specifications: