Medical billers are responsible for submitting claims to insurance companies and other payers, such as Medicaid and Medicare. Large medical institutions to small practices employ medical billers to ensure their claims are coded correctly and that they are submitted to payers and insurance providers in a timely manner so the billing cycle progresses unimpeded.
As you craft the skills section of your medical biller job description, you should highlight that your ideal medical biller is detail-oriented, highly organized and efficient. This person should also have extensive knowledge of basic insurance structures, including HMOs, PPOs and other systems.
Additionally, medical billers should possess above-average computer skills and have a basic knowledge of accounting and billing procedures. This medical biller job description can guide you as you put together your own job posting to fill an open spot at your organization.
Medical Biller Job Summary
As a medical biller at our growing family practice, you will be an essential member of a patient-oriented team that prides itself on providing excellent medical care. In addition to submitting claims and working with insurers on a day-to-day basis, you will have the opportunity to interact with patients and answer any questions they might have about the billing process. This is the perfect position for a medical biller who has a few years of experience but wants to further expand her or his skills and abilities. Strong organizational and customer service skills in addition to the ability to work in a patient-oriented environment are needed for this role.
* Obtain pre-authorizations and referrals as they are needed for patient referrals
* Review patient bills to ensure they are complete and accurate, and obtain any needed information if it is missing
* Use billing software, including paper claim processing and paper claim processing programs, to review, prepare and transmit claims to the appropriate party on a daily basis
* Check to see if claims remain unpaid and follow up with patients and insurance companies to determine the cause of the delay and to keep the billing cycle on track
* Look into claims that are denied and research how to modify the claim to ensure it is processed correctly
* Answer inquiries made by patients or insurance companies regarding assigned accounts, the billing process or the appeals process
* Work with patients to set up payment plans and manage collection accounts as they are processed
* Update office billing software with rate changes, run collection reports and update cash spreadsheets as payments are received
Job Skills & Qualifications
* High school diploma
* Strong knowledge of basic accounting and billing procedures as they apply to the medical industry
* One to three years of experience in a medical office setting
* Medical billing certificate
* Experience working with HMOs, PPOs, Medicare and Medicaid
* Familiarity with standard medical billing software
Writing the type of medical biller job description that attracts top talent to your team is just the first step towards making a hire who contributes to your organization. After putting together your job description, you will need to push it across proper channels so it is seen by the right people at the right time.
Online job boards are a great resource to use to post your job description, but there are many other platforms that are equally valuable you can use. For example, you might want to try posting your job description to social media and your company website in addition to asking for referrals from current co-workers. Additionally, you can post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards all at once on MightyRecruiter to get your search for the right candidate off to a great start.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter