When it comes to hiring the right professionals for your company, you can’t neglect any aspect of the recruitment process. The job description is the very first time many professionals will come in contact with your organization. That is why it is so important for you to create a well-written job description. The job description serves as the first impression, and failure to create the best one will result in you having to screen more candidates than necessary to find the one professional for the job. To give you a better idea of what is expected in a job description, here is a Medical Billing Clerk job description sample below.
Medical Billing Clerk Job Summary
You’ll be tasked with collecting payments and creating payments arrangements for patient accounts. You’ll also maintain an accurate accounting of patient account balances and generate and send out invoices to secure payment, while following up on past due accounts.
Medical Billing Clerk Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare bills and invoices for medical services and treatments received.
- Establishes payment arrangements on current and delinquent patient accounts.
- Contacts and follows up with individuals to reconcile accounts.
- Collaborates with designated collection agencies to collect seriously delinquent accounts.
- Gathers patient insurance and financial information to generate payment for company.
- Updates and obtains medical authorization for payment from insurers.
- Gathers information needed to secure payment from third party insurances.
- Regularly updates Medicare and Medicaid cost and bad-debt reports, billing, collection and other related information.
- Monitors debts and unresolved patient accounts by filing claims, not limited to estates claims, probate issues and contacting the court clerk.
- Collects payments on outstanding accounts from hospital employees through payroll deduction, automatic transfers and other payment arrangements.
- Collect financial, demographic and insurance information from obstetrical patents prior to delivery to ensure timely payments and to send invoices.
- Follows all work processes, procedures, while maintaining compliance to the rules and regulations set forth by the company.
- Strives to deliver high-quality results at all times in accordance with standards.
- Protects and keeps all patient and hospital information confidential.
- Proudly services the company by following all HIPAA, JCAHO, state, and federal laws and standards.
- Accepts ownership for all tasks and responsibilities while improving the company’s reputation.
- Actively explores new activities, networking opportunities and educational pursuits to improve job knowledge and skills.
Medical Billing Clerk Skills and Qualifications
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associate Degree desired
- 1-2 years of experience in a medical or healthcare office setting
- Above average critical thinking, communication and analytical skills
Pupps Health is a 2,000 bed healthcare facility that is located in Kansas City, Missouri. Founded in 1955, we strive to provide all patients with the highest quality of care possible, regardless of their financial or living circumstances. We consistently deliver the best in patient care, treatment, therapy and resources with innovation and daily improvements that are utilized in our medical research and services. We encourage our employees to improve the lives of patients one step at a time for a better outcome.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- While the above Medical Billing Clerk job description sample is an excellent example of what your job descriptions should look like, you may not always have one in front of you to follow. For those times, incorporate the following best practices in your future job descriptions.
- Do write your job description so that it speaks to the appropriate audience. Use language and terminology they understand. Avoid sounding stuffy or boring.
- Do only use factual information. Avoid fluff and false statements.
- Do create a title that is five or fewer words long. Be sure to incorporate one or two keywords in it.
- Do inspire, motivate and incorporate value into your job description. Candidates should feel interested and excited when they read over the information.
- Don’t include salary or benefit information if it is not necessary or if it violates company policy.
- Don’t include too much information. Aim for 700 words or less to keep from overwhelming job seekers. Most job seekers scan job ads, so it is best to use bullet points whenever possible so they won’t miss important information.
The above Medical Billing Clerk job description sample is a great one for you to use as a guideline for your future job descriptions. It embodies all of the necessary components you need to incorporate in order to successfully attract and recruit the best talent to your organization. Get in the habit of writing your job descriptions the right way to ensure your success and results.
Medical Billing Clerk Job Responsibilities
Keep the job responsibilities section of your medical billing clerk job description as concise and informative as possible by listing key responsibilities in bullet-point format. You should also keep the number of bullets to between six and eight so you provide enough information of what you require on a day-to-day basis without scaring jobseekers away by overwhelming them.
Plan on spending the most time putting together the responsibilities section of your medical billing clerk job description, since it is the most substantial. Overall, this is the section where candidates learn about what the job entails and if they are a good fit for it, so you want to write it in a way that attracts jobseekers and piques their interest to ultimately apply for the job.
These medical billing clerk job responsibilities may also work for your own job description:
- Establish payment arrangements with patients when accounts become delinquent
- Verify patient benefit information and apply the appropriate code to medical services rendered
- Go over patient bills to ensure their accuracy; if any information is missing, obtain it
- Review and transmit claims using billing software and paper claim processing systems
- Follow up on unpaid bills to acquire patient information and status
Medical Billing Clerk Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your medical billing clerk job description gives you the opportunity to list not only standard required qualifications, but the ones your organization in particular is looking for. As you start the hiring process, go over the preferred and required qualifications with anyone helping you with this task so you are on the same page about what you want in the person you hire.
You should plan on keeping this section short; it should simply list what kind of skills and qualifications you want jobseekers to have. However, make sure you put special care into writing the skills and qualifications on your medical billing clerk job description, because if you don’t, you could waste time reviewing resumes from candidates who aren’t qualified. A carefully composed list also helps ensure jobseekers don’t spend time applying for a job they can’t perform.
Here are some medical billing clerk job specifications to include in your own job description:
- Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, HMO/PPO and other payer requirement systems
- Ability to use a 10-key calculator as well as billing computer systems and software
- Effective communication skills and ability to resolve issues over the phone with patients and insurance companies
- Knowledge of medical terminology as it applies to the billing process