Medical billing specialists are responsible for organizing and maintaining patient health information in both electronic and hard copies. They learn and use a variety of coding systems to sort and maintain patient medical data and history of treatment for various uses such as insurance reimbursement and inclusion in databases and registries.
When creating your medical billing specialist job description, you may want to stress the need for accuracy in this position. Coding must be exact for billing and classification systems, and even small errors can cause big problems.
Billing specialists ensure health information is accessible but also secure from unnecessary access. To get a deeper understanding of the responsibilities of this role, examine the medical billing specialist job description template below.
Medical Billing Specialist Job Summary
We are seeking a billing specialist with a head for figures and a heart for helping others. Everyone on our office team has a role to play in providing great customer service for a broad cross-section of clients, so you will get to use your excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as accuracy in this demanding role. We want you to succeed and provide you all the support you need, along with plenty of learning opportunities, such as seminars and workshops, so you can grow in your job and your career. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package that includes full medical and dental coverage. Best of all, you’ll have the chance to leave every day knowing you’ve helped others as part of a caring staff.
- Establish and maintain security of medical records to ensure patient confidentiality on an ongoing basis
- Review patient records on a daily basis for accuracy, supply any missing information and ensure compliance with company policy and government regulations
- Balance accounts daily, prepare financial balance sheets and submit to finance director
- Generate revenue by working with patients to establish payment schedules for late accounts, following up with them as needed for continued late payments
- Evaluate and select collection agencies for use in recovering delinquent accounts, determine appropriateness of suing patients and testify for medical office in court cases
- Ensure office staff members are properly collecting co-pays and payment balances by auditing financial records of patients prior to each visit, and compile and maintain monthly bad-debt cost report for Medicare
- Access patient records as needed for review by physicians, technicians and other medical staff members
- Follow professional standards and meet requirements of local, state and federal regulations
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Medical billing and coding certification
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Classification software (3M Encoder and AMA CodeManager)
- Database and query software (EndoSoft, encoded archival system EAD and data entry)
- Document management software (Laserfiche, SoftMed ChartLocater and IDX)
- Medical software (Allscripts HER, Amazing Charts and ComChart EMR)
- Voice recognition and dictation software
- Communication and interpersonal skills
Writing an eye-catching medical billing specialist job description is a good first step in finding candidates for your job opening. However, in a job market where HR professionals say it’s getting harder to find viable candidates, you need a job posting strategy that will not only bring you more applicants but better-qualified applicants as well.
One part of that strategy is to make sure you’re using your company website well. Create an easy-to-use career page to post your description, and consider using social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter to get the word out. Additionally, save time, spread the word and post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards at the same time using MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter