To produce a more effective medical equipment preparer job description, you should begin examining what people do in this job. Individuals in this position typically work in a lab or medical office and clean or set up medical equipment. They help maintain the equipment in top working order and follow all industry sanitizing standards.
Most medical equipment preparers have at least a high school diploma. There are also many in this job who hold certificates in the field from community colleges or vocational training programs. Employers may expect candidates have experience in the field.
The ideal person in this position should have a strong attention to detail. They also need to have an understanding of the medical field and industry terminology. Below, you can get a better idea of additional things to consider before writing your job posting by looking at the medical equipment preparer job description template.
Medical Equipment Preparer Job Summary
Are you seeking an opportunity in a fast-growing industry that will have you encountering interesting challenges and unique situations each day? We are hiring someone to fill a medical equipment preparer position in our medical research laboratory facility dedicated to investigating new treatments for cancer. In this role, you will be assisting other medical staff with keeping equipment for research studies clean and prepped for each task. You will use standards developed by the industry and recommended by the manufacturer to keep equipment operating at peak condition. This position also offers the right person many opportunities for advancement in this field.
- Use deep cleaning devices, such as steam autoclaves to sanitize medical equipment and maintain a record of each cleaning cycle and the condition of the machine
- Sanitize all medical instruments used during procedures and get them ready to be further cleaned in special devices each day
- Manage the stock of surgical tools and other medical instruments and have items set up and ready for medical staff to use during procedures
- Evaluate all medical equipment for acceptable working order and identify components that need repair or refurbishment
- Set aside equipment that is inoperative or defective to be reviewed by supervisory staff or to be replaced
- Create an inventory of all medical devices, instruments and equipment and keep the inventory records updated when items are used, sent out for repair or replaced
- Update cleaning supplies and sanitizing equipment to meet all medical equipment cleanliness standards according to regulations for safety
- Enroll in monthly staff development programs related to laboratory research equipment technology developments and standards
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Possession of a high school diploma or an equivalency certificate
- Ability to follow all appropriate safety and industry standards
- Uncompromising attention to detail
- Completion of a certificate program in medical equipment preparation
- Experience working in the medical research field
Medical Equipment Preparer Job Responsibilities
Jobseekers spend little time reading through a job posting before deciding either to move on or to apply — applying for a job takes time and energy, and they do not want to waste those resources on a position that does not appeal to them. As such, you want to design a medical equipment preparer job description that is clear, focused and enticing so that you receive quality applications from worthy jobseekers.
Since your medical equipment preparer job responsibilities make up the bulk of the job description, you want to shape it in a way that is not only thorough but also easy to read. You want applicants to be able to skim through the job responsibilities section quickly while also being able to understand what the position itself entails. Use a list of 6-8 bullet points to give applicants a good idea of what they will do should you hire them.
Here are some responsibilities that you could put in your medical equipment preparer job description:
- Sterilize medical equipment in the appropriate ways for different materials
- Monitor devices to test for weaknesses or inaccuracies
- Calibrate equipment as per the calibration schedule
- Devise solutions to problems as they arise with the equipment
Medical Equipment Preparer Job Specifications
The specifications required to do the actual job appear in the qualifications and skills section of your medical equipment preparer job description. This section describes qualities and experience that applicants ought to have before even applying for the position. You may think that this section is not as important as the responsibilities section because it is much shorter, but it is crucial to your medical equipment preparer job description because it helps to weed out unfit jobseekers. When everyone involved has a clear understanding of the position’s qualifications, those who are unqualified do not waste their time or yours by applying.
You ought to think up some specifications on your own, but to be as comprehensive as possible, you should also meet with current medical equipment preparers and hiring managers. This way, your list will cover all required and preferred qualifications you want applicants to have. Actually splitting up the list into required and preferred sections is also a good idea to let jobseekers know if they are suitable for the job.
Below are medical equipment preparer job specifications to aid in writing your own job posting:
- Required high school diploma or equivalent certificate; preferred postsecondary technical certification
- At least 2 years of experience in medical equipment preparation or related field
- Strong technical knowledge of medical equipment
- Time-management skills to complete tasks as scheduled