Medical equipment repairers evaluate and fix medical equipment that is exhibiting problems. They perform their repairs on numerous types of devices, from diagnostic machinery to automatic operating tables. They work in settings such as dentists’ offices, health centers and hospitals.
Your medical equipment repairer job description should mention that the most desirable candidates are those with at least an associate degree in biomedical equipment technology or engineering. With this degree, most candidates will have the knowledge and training necessary to accurately diagnose issues and perform the necessary repairs.
In addition to technical and mechanical skills, medical equipment repairers need to be strong communicators so they can obtain all the information they need to pinpoint problems. They should also be persistent enough to see complicated tasks through to the end. To learn more about the makings of the perfect medical equipment repairer job description, check out the following example.
Medical Equipment Repairer Job Summary
Parkington Hospital is seeking a hardworking addition to our medical equipment repair team. As a medical equipment repairer, you will perform routine equipment maintenance, respond to help calls from departments throughout the hospital, troubleshoot the sources of equipment malfunctions and either fix the equipment on-site or remove it to perform more complex repairs. In this position, you will have the daily opportunity to conquer challenges while making the lives of other people healthier and safer. After you have proven your skill in the profession, you may also be paid to obtain advanced certifications. You will report to John Jones, head of Parkington Hospital’s Maintenance and Installation Department.
- Develop equipment maintenance schedules and carry out daily maintenance tasks to keep equipment performing optimally
- Test and analyze failing or broken medical equipment, referring to manufacturer instructions as guidelines and making use of appropriate testing instruments
- Determine sources of disrepair, develop plans for resolving the issues and implement solutions using welding tools, power tools, hand tools, calibrators and other repair devices
- Update and repair medical tools and machinery by interpreting and following procedures presented in blueprints, schematics and manuals
- Collaborate daily with other medical equipment maintenance team members to ensure that duties are properly allocated according to specialty areas and scheduling needs
- Contribute to departmental organization by recording repair incidents, following up with previous repairs and tracking maintenance schedules
- Advise medical professionals on best practices for equipment use to minimize the occurrence of breakdowns and prolong the lives of the machines
- Recommend ideal equipment purchases to administrators at the end of each quarter to help uphold outstanding reputation of hospital
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Previous experience diagnosing and repairing mechanical or electronic equipment
- Ability to understand mechanical drawings and diagrams
- Experience using tools including levels, drills, high voltage meters, pressure gauges and oscilloscopes
- Effective communication skills to facilitate accurate exchange of information
- Associate degree in biomedical equipment technology or engineering
- Familiarity with medical equipment software and collaboration databases
Medical Equipment Repairer Job Responsibilities
A medical equipment repairer job description needs to be complete and precise to attract the most qualified applicants. It is imperative that the medical equipment repairer job responsibilities you write are accurate and relevant to the position because the job responsibilities section is the most comprehensive part of the job description. Duties such as installation and maintenance need to be clearly spelled out so there is no confusion for potential applicants.
When you take the time to research the open position and make sure the job responsibilities fit the open position, you will optimize the number of applicants who are a good match for the job. Remember to utilize the bullet point format in your medical equipment repairer job description for easy readability. Use a strong action verb at the start of each bullet. Here are some examples of job responsibilities for this medical industry position.
- Ensure optimal performance of medical equipment through its timely issue troubleshooting and repair
- Install new equipment and calibrate it to industry standards in accord with CAP, JCAHO, and NFPA99
- Establish and perform employee in-service training on the operation of new and/or updated equipment and inform of potential safety issues with each device
- Follow a schedule of preventative maintenance on all department equipment, also ensuring that equipment upgrades are properly installed
- Communicate with allied maintenance and repair professionals as needed and notify department personnel of equipment repair status.
Medical Equipment Repairer Job Specifications
The medical technology field is one that is undergoing increased specialization, so the job qualifications and skills section of your medical equipment repairer job description must be clear on the details of the qualifications. It is a best practice to separate the required and preferred specifications of the position to maintain clarity. This way, everyone who reads the job description for the open position will know what it takes to be a qualified applicant. List the qualifications in order of importance and include 6-8 bullet points in each list.
Important points to cover in the job specifications section include education, amount and type of experience, and personal abilities that the position relies on to be successful. An organized and well-written medical equipment repairer job description will likely decrease the amount of time to fill a position by helping unqualified applicants to weed themselves out. Here are some sample medical equipment repairer job specifications for your review.
- An Associate of Science degree in the medical technology field
- Two years of experience in a medical equipment repair position in a clinic or hospital setting
- Strong mechanical aptitude and attention to detail in equipment instrumentation and function
- Excellent documentation and schematic reading skills
- Ability to handle electrical test equipment and lift up to 50 pounds