Medical laboratory technicians play a crucial role in healthcare facilities, so when it comes to hiring a new one, you cannot waste time playing games. You need to write a fantastic job description that clearly explains what you are looking for in a candidate and what someone can expect working for you. It may seem easy, but it takes a certain amount of skill in order to create a description that captures the attention of the best job hunters in your city. This medical laboratory technician sample job description is a great example of what you should be doing, and you can customize this information to reflect what you want out of applicants.
Medical Laboratory Technician Job Summary
You will be expected to gather information in order to help fellow staff members with diagnosing a patient. This can include carrying out tests related to immunology, chemistry or toxicology. You will also need to record any information pertaining to blood bank inventories.
Medical Laboratory Technician Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Label, sort and check specimens and organize all information into the computer system
- Serve as a resource for all members of the staff, which includes answering questions when asked and participating in any educational opportunities as they arise
- Identify any abnormal conditions within patients, inform the proper personnel of the abnormality and work to come up with a solution
- Inform patients of any abnormalities within their conditions and inform them of the proper steps to take for treatment
- Create a safe environment for everybody by keeping work areas clean and ensuring none of the medical equipment becomes contaminated
- Maintain database within blood bank and prepare transfusions
Medical Laboratory Technician Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum of an Associate’s degree in chemistry, biology or related field
- Comprehensive knowledge of FDA regulations
- Able to work together as part of a team
- Able to maintain a safe, clean work environment
- Superb documentation skills
- Great verbal communication skills and able to explain complex medical terms simply
The Kansas City Regional Healthcare Facility is looking for skilled, passionate individuals to join our team. We have been helping people throughout the area get the care and treatments they need since 1988. Our mission is to help everybody, regardless of their background so that all people can benefit from modern medicine.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- Your company is likely at least a little different from the sample information provided above, so feel free to change any material presented in this medical laboratory technician sample job description. Regardless of the position you are trying to fill, here are some tips you should follow to really make sure your job description stands out.
- Do a little research into the best practices for search engine optimization. A few minor alterations can send your job description to the first couple of pages in search engine results. Conversely, doing SEO poorly can actually make it harder for people to find your listing.
- Do determine what skills are essential for the job versus skills that would just be nice to see. You do not want someone not applying because they think they are lacking a necessary qualification. As you are making your skills list, have the most important ones come first. The less important ones should be further down the list.
- Do include a call to action statement such as “Apply now!” You want people to apply right that moment as opposed to waiting.
- Do use shortcuts and abbreviations when appropriate. You should generally stick to abbreviations that are well-known. Otherwise, you should spell everything out.
- Do not state the salary if it is against company policy to do so. Some companies will not care in the slightest, but others will want to keep that information confidential. Check with someone in human resources to see if you can discuss salary and health benefits in the job description.
- Do not talk about more than 10 responsibilities of the job. You want to focus on the tasks the person will be doing every day or so. If you have more than 10 in your list, then go through them again and see which ones are not as important as the rest.
The best applicants in your city will likely be courted by every similar organization in the area. You want the best people working for you, so make your company stand apart from everyone else and craft a stellar job description.