Medical receptionists perform basic secretarial duties, such as answering phones, scheduling appointments and providing patients and callers with information. Since they will be working for a medical institution, receptionists need to enter information into the company’s database for later use.
Medical receptionists are generally the first people patrons see when they enter the building, so they always need to be kind and courteous. A medical receptionist job description needs to state the importance of customer service skills. Additionally, receptionists need to be capable of handling confidential information securely.
Communication skills, both written and verbal, are needed in this line of work so that patients fully understand what will be going on while they are in this medical institution. Read the below medical receptionist job description template to see what exactly you need to get across in your own description.
Medical Receptionist Job Summary
Do you consider yourself to be an individual full of integrity and always willing to help others? Are you detail-oriented and professional? Does the health care field interest you? Our medical office has been serving the community for 15 years and needs a new medical receptionist. If you can maintain a flexible schedule and multitask every single day, you’ll fit right in with our highly skilled medical team. You will make a real difference in the lives of our patients as you provide them with valuable information to improve their lives. This is an excellent opportunity for anyone currently in school or interested in a career in medicine, so apply soon.
- Greet visitors as soon as they enter, determine their needs and direct them to the proper area of the facility
- Collect information from patients, including insurance information, money for copays and contact information to put into company’s software system
- Answer the telephone and redirect calls to the appropriate staff member, and respond to voicemails in a timely manner
- Maintain office inventory, ensuring there are always efficient levels of medical supplies and other office equipment
- Assist doctors with responding to correspondence, including email and physical letters
- Prepare exam rooms after they have been used to ensure they are sanitary for the next patient
- Maintain medical record database to ensure patient information is kept up to date, and provide patient information to other doctor offices when a patient decides to switch providers
- Perform additional administrative functions when needed, which can include providing patients with aftercare information and contacting patients to collect invoice payments
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous experience answering phones
- Able to maintain the confidentiality of private information
- Friendly demeanor and positive attitude
- Basic knowledge of standard medical terminology
- Pursuing a degree related to the medical field
- Proficient computer skills
There are many challenges hiring managers face when trying to attract new talent. For high-demand talent pools, it can be tough convincing jobseekers why they should apply for your job. The best strategy is to post your medical receptionist job description to a variety of sites online.
Social media has become an incredible resource for when you need to attract talented jobseekers in your area. You should integrate this strategy by using other methods to get the word out, including employee referrals, email blasts and help-wanted ads. Finally, you absolutely should use as many online job boards as you can. Hundreds of these job boards are out there, and by using MightyRecruiter, you can get free job postings all at the same time, which saves you time and effort.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter