Medical transcriptionists listen to dictated recordings from medical care providers and adapt them into written form. Their transcriptions may include office visit notes, medical test results, referral letters and other documentation for accurate medical records. They must be familiar with medical terminology and have a keen ear to understand a variety of accents and rates of speech.
When you write your medical transcriptionist job description, you should detail the skills and qualifications this position encompasses to inform potential candidates of what to expect. You may want to highlight the importance of communication, grammar and a sharp attention to detail needed to perform this job effectively.
Medical transcriptionists may also interact with health care providers to review and correct any documents as needed. You can follow the medical transcriptionist job description below to write a job post that can bring top candidates to your attention.
Medical Transcriptionist Job Summary
We are looking for a candidate with a good ear and fast fingers to fill our opening as a medical transcriptionist in the medical records department. Every day brings a different set of challenges in this quick-paced behind-the-scenes area of health care, and the right person should be able to work quickly and accurately in this supporting role by maintaining the highest quality medical records for the care and privacy of the public we serve. You’ll have the opportunity to train with the latest technology and strengthen your skills and understanding of medical vocabulary while providing a valuable service that helps both our medical staff and our patients. If you like to work independently and have a commitment to excellence, you may be the person we are looking for.
- Transcribe medical reports, summaries, office visit notes and other medical documents from recorded messages from health care providers
- Provide online copies of transcribed document to physicians or other providers for review and signature, making corrections or changes as noted
- Be familiar with proper grammar, spelling and sentence structure as well as medical jargon and abbreviations for accuracy
- Prepare correspondence, summaries, research and other administrative reports not directly related to patient care in order to assist medical team
- Work with transcription equipment that can include speech recognition equipment, word processing and computer software, medical references and other technologies
- Maintain strict adherence to patient confidentiality according to provider standards and government regulations
- Review transcription documents for quality assurance and precision to spot and correct any errors that could impact patient care and medical liability
- Create templates and enter data into electronic health record (EHR) systems for updated record keeping and archives
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Proficiency with EHR, Microsoft Office and speech recognition software
- Ability to type 90 WPM
- Certification in medical transcription (CMT)
- Previous experience in hospital or other health care setting
Writing a clear medical transcriptionist job description is the starting point for your search for the most qualified candidate. Next, you should broadcast your opening by adding it to your company website as well as any social media accounts. With widespread job posting, you can get connected with more people who have the right skills for your company.
Of course, you should do more than just use the typical platforms. Posting on a variety of online job boards can be a smart choice, but you can also use a lot of time and money on this method. You can have the same access to many free job postings when you use MightyRecruiter, which is a sound business decision to make hiring easier.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter