Hiring managers tasked with putting together a mental health and substance abuse social worker job description should think about job requirements. Social workers work with people who have mental illnesses or substance abuse problems. They offer counseling services and supports for their clients dealing with these issues.
Social workers must have an undergraduate degree in social work to be considered for a professional post. Some organizations require the candidate to have earned a master’s degree in social work to be hired. It is also a requirement for social workers to be state licensed.
In this job, it’s important for the employee to have a strong amount of compassion for clients. Interpersonal skills and communication abilities are additional areas that are stressed in successful social work. Read more about the job requirements in the mental health and substance abuse social worker job description template below.
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Social Worker Job Summary
If you are ready to help make a difference in the lives of our community members, then we have the perfect opportunity for you. Our organization is recruiting for a mental health and substance abuse social worker who can assist individuals struggling with mental illness and addiction. In this position, you would work with community resources to develop an appropriate treatment and counseling plan for your clients. You would partner with clients in their recovery and be their biggest cheerleader throughout each challenge they overcome. If you want to make an impact on someone who most needs it, this is the place for you.
- Discuss issues related to mental illness, substance abuse, trauma, poverty or other challenges with clients in individual or group therapeutic settings each week
- Assess each client’s individual progress by reviewing treatment goals and marking benchmarks as they are achieved each month
- Partner with medical personnel, such as nurses, doctors and psychiatrists, when designing an appropriate plan of treatment for clients
- Provide resources to the client and the family for additional services to help assist recovery from mental illness, addiction or physical conditions
- Design community education programs and deliver workshops and class instruction to people in the area to help inform the public about the facts of mental illness or substance abuse issues
- Support patients with following through on treatment plans by being flexible in appointment scheduling, arranging for rides to the office and holding clients accountable for their treatment
- Offer counseling services to family members of the patient to help them develop a greater understanding of the challenges facing their relative
- Develop more knowledge and expertise in the field by regularly attending workshops, conferences and meetings in the industry
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in social work
- State-licensed clinical social worker
- One or more years of experience in social work
- Demonstrated knowledge of case management
- Master’s degree in social work
- Background treating and supporting those with mental illness or addiction
The first hurdle in finding the perfect person to hire is writing a great mental health and substance abuse social worker job description. In the best scenario, the most highly-qualified people will be able to access your job posting.
Sometimes, you’ll need to do a little more legwork to ensure your job listing gets sent to the best candidates. Simply posting it on your company website is often not enough. A better idea is to broadcast your job opening to a massive audience across the internet using a specialized tool so all potential talented candidates are able to access your company’s information and apply. You can use MightyRecruiter for assistance, and you’ll get to post to free job boards easily this way.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter