Mental health counselors work with families, couples and individuals to help in overcoming emotional and psychological problems. Some deal specifically in the treatment of mental illness, while others may help patients deal with issues related to addiction and substance abuse, or everyday challenges such as marital problems, parental control or managing stress.
As you can see in the mental health counselor job description template provided here, a candidate for a counselor position must possess excellent listening and communication skills. He or she should also be skilled at discerning people’s words and actions, helping them to see how what they say and do reveals the root causes of their issues.
Your ideal job applicant should be one who possesses the right blend of knowledge and clinical experience. Consult the mental health counselor job description template to see how you can tailor your listing to find such a candidate.
Mental Health Counselor Job Summary
Scores of citizens in your local community are currently dealing with debilitating emotional issues. Your skills and experience are needed to help these people find the support they need. We’re seeking qualified mental health professionals to work in conjunction with our hospital emergency department staff to offer counseling services. You’ll work side-by-side with clinicians simultaneously seeing to the physical and emotional needs of patients. You’ll also get the chance to engage and network with other like-minded professionals in the community as you arrange for ongoing care for the patients you work with. This position also works in conjunction with local law enforcement officials to find solutions for individuals other than punitive action. If you really want to make difference in the lives of others, this is the job for you.
- Offer counseling to patients who visit hospital emergency department seeking treatment for emotional and mental health issues
- Coordinate with doctors and nurses to help pinpoint any clinical conditions that may be contributing to a patient’s struggles
- Work with clinicians, family members and law enforcement officials to arrange for voluntary and involuntary psychiatric admissions when they are needed
- Arrange for the transportation of patients to other facilities or mental health providers if circumstances will not allow them to be accommodated in the ED
- Follow up with psychiatrists and/or attending physicians in cases involving hospital admissions
- Collaborate with external psychiatric care providers as well as representatives from civic assistance programs to help schedule treatment sessions for those patients who need them
- Prepare patient evaluations to be included in medical records and to be shared with hospital review boards
- Assist hospital security staff to help protect clinical providers, patients and visitors from uncooperative and potentially dangerous mental health patients
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree in psychology, sociology or clinical psychiatric science from an accredited college or university
- Current practitioner license through the state’s clinical therapy board
- Three years of experience in counseling or mental health services
- Prior work experience in emergency department or outpatient clinical care setting
- Working knowledge of legal guidelines stipulating psychiatric admission requirements
- Excellent communication skills
Consider the mental health counselor job description template provided here as a resource to helping you find the ideal candidate for your position. Other resources are also available to help get your job listing out in front of as many qualified applicants as possible. Working with job placement programs offered by colleges and universities can help to direct newly graduated and licensed professionals your way. Sharing your job listing with professional psychiatric certification organizations is another way to attract good candidates.
Several online resources also exist that will help bring more exposure to your listing. You can avoid having to research each and every one of them and having to pay subscription fees by instead working with a recruiting service such as MightyRecruiter. Its resources allow you access to countless websites that allow you to post jobs for free, which in turn can help you dramatically increase your candidate pool.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter