Merchandise displayer is a retail position that entails creating attractive displays within a store to highlight important products. These employees often work with the store manager to determine what the layout should be. They also attend trade shows and help set up the company’s booth.
Merchandise displayers need to be creative and capable of communicating potentially complex ideas to others. Your merchandise displayer job description should mention the need for good spatial cognizance so the new hire knows he or she needs to be able to work with a limited amount of space.
Customer service skills will come in handy because displayers routinely set up displays while the store is open, so they should still offer assistance when it is necessary. Examine the merchandise displayer job description below to see for yourself what should go into an effective write-up.
Merchandise Displayer Job Summary
Do you enjoy working in retail but want an opportunity to show off your creative side? Put your talents to good use by designing attractive, eye-catching displays at our furniture store. You will have the opportunity to design displays on a weekly basis to highlight the hottest products, making potential customers walk into the store for the first time just to buy something. You will be working directly with the manager to design these displays, so you will really be making an impact on overall sales and customer retention. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a compassionate, fun team while gaining customer service experience.
- Develop commercial displays, including window displays designed to encourage people just walking by to enter the store
- Rotate displays once a week to promote new products or attempt to sell products that are overstocked and need to be moved
- Maintain displays daily by cleaning them so that they always look their best, and inspect mannequins frequently to ensure there are no flaws on the bodies
- Assemble displays by hand by taking a piece of furniture out of the box and putting it together yourself, making sure to follow all instructions
- Photograph displays in ways that are acceptable to publish on social media sites and the local newspaper when a column is written about the store
- Attend trade shows with the manager to set up display booth while remembering to bring along some of the store’s most valuable products
- Consult with manager and retail employees to determine where best location for displays would be
- Assist customers with any questions or concerns they might have
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or its equivalent
- Creative, outgoing personality
- Familiarity with basic hand tools, such as claw hammers and air brushes
- Knowledge of basic marketing principles
- Good communication skills
- Knowledge of photo imaging software
Want to use this job description?
Merchandise Displayer Job Responsibilities
A skillful merchandise displayer pays attention to the importance of presentation, and if you’re looking to add someone like this to your team, you need to pay just as much attention to making a first-rate first impression on potential jobseekers in the presentation of your job responsibilities. A superior merchandise displayer job description needs to include a high-quality job responsibilities section.
This is the most substantial portion of your merchandise displayer job description in terms of length, but it doesn’t need to be overly showy, so eliminate the fluff and focus on making every word count. Break the relevant information into bite-sized, easily digestible chunks, using about 6-8 bullet points at maximum, and use these bullets to illustrate how the merchandise displayer’s job is critical to the effective functioning of the organization overall.
If you’re searching for inspiration to get your creative juices flowing, here are some samples of merchandise displayer job responsibilities that you may find handy:
- Collaborate with merchandise team management personnel in planning and executing a top-notch visual merchandising plan designed to drive sales and increase consumer engagement
- Facilitate the smooth and seamless implementation of periodic store floor plan changes as needed
- Maintain constant environmental awareness to ensure that store displays are continually stocked and signed appropriately
- Represent the merchandise team well and demonstrate exceptional customer service by serving as a model of positivity, team spirit and dedication on the sales floor
Merchandise Displayer Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your merchandise displayer job description doesn’t need to be as lengthy or intensive as the job responsibilities section, but it still needs to be sharp. Neglecting this section is a recipe for disaster because failing to accurately communicate minimal job requirements to job hopefuls will result in an inbox inundated with resumes and queries from applicants who are inappropriate and whose skills and experience are inadequate to meet your company’s needs.
As you flesh out this part of your merchandise displayer job description, consider not only the must-haves when it comes to job performance, but also the nice-to-haves. Listing both and identifying the latter as “preferred” will help to further refine your applicant pool and make the task of identifying the ideal candidate even more efficient.
As you begin to piece together your own merchandise displayer job specifications, you may find the following sample bullets of value in getting you started:
- 3 or more years of retail experience in visual merchandising, including displays, lighting and layouts (supervisory experience preferred)
- Exceptional project planning and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including night and weekend shifts as needed
- Ability to travel occasionally to support operations at satellite locations
- 2-year degree in fashion or design preferred