Metal workers are typically expected to fabricate metal products using sheets of metal. This metal might be aluminum, steel or something else, but it is up to the metal worker to determine what would be best for the project at hand.
Dexterity needs to be emphasized in your metal worker job description. These professionals spend every day working with their hands, so they should have sufficient physical stamina to persist in doing that. Physical strength is beneficial because workers will need to lift heavy materials.
Candidates should also possess mechanical skills because in this profession, workers use lasers, presses, shears and saws on a regular basis. All this needs to come across in your metal worker job description so jobseekers know exactly what to expect. Use the example below as a guide.
Metal Worker Job Summary
Do you enjoy putting in a hard day’s working and leaving the job site at the end of the day with immense pride you got a lot done? We are looking for new metal workers who are capable of fabricating complex pieces of machinery using the latest tools. This is not going to be your typical office job, so you should be prepared to spend long hours on your feet. However, you will be working in an extremely supportive environment where your coworkers are always going to have your back. There is a real team dynamic at our company, and we would love for you to join us.
- Read blueprints effectively to create the item being specified
- Determine what requirements are needed for a project and communicate with the proper department to acquire the correct amount of metal, essential tools and any other necessary supplies
- Measure pieces of metal to ensure they abide by the appropriate dimensions and cut them using lasers or saws
- Fasten pieces of metal together to create a larger fabrication by using bolts, caulk or any other bond you believe to be most appropriate for the component
- Maintain tools and equipment when they are not being used by cleaning them and making any essential repairs
- Install fabrications occasionally by going to clients’ properties; some of the fabrications that generally need to be made include AC ducts, rain gutters and flashing
- Assist with the hiring process of new apprentices
- Train apprentices in the process of fabricating metal items by showing them how to use all tools
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Previous experience working in metal fabrication
- Ability to read blueprints
- Basic math skills
- Ability to meet all physical demands of the job
- Ability to work in an environment that occasionally gets very loud
- Certification in welding
You want enthusiastic individuals applying for your open position. You certainly do not want people who are simply passive about completing this job getting in your way. While writing a detailed metal worker job description certainly helps, you also want to ensure active applicants are capable of finding it in the first place.
You never want to post your job description in just one place. Instead, you want to pursue a variety of avenues so people from all walks of life have a way to discover it. To start, you can certainly post it to your company website and your company’s LinkedIn profile. After that, you want to turn your attention to online job boards. These are sites with the sole purpose of advertising open positions at companies. Use MightyRecruiter to acquire free job postings and to comprehensively get the word out.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter