Mechanics who work on mobile heavy equipment operate in a variety of operations in different industries. From farming to construction, mining, and defense and military applications, mobile heavy equipment mechanics fulfill a variety of roles, which makes writing a specific mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description very important.
There are a variety of skills that every equipment mechanic needs, including the ability to break down the order of cause and effect in a mechanical system to understand where malfunctions exist and how they affect the system as a whole. To evaluate that, it is helpful to look for more discrete skills, like individual equipment repair certifications for your industry.
It is also helpful to make sure your mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description contains other skills related to the job, like familiarity with tools used in the industry and the ability to participate in quality oversight.
Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic Job Summary
When you join our team as a mobile heavy equipment mechanic, you get more than just a challenging job that will give you a variety of tasks at a variety of locations throughout our operation. You also gain the opportunity to demonstrate your leadership skills as the center of a team of technical specialists working to maintain all of our agricultural equipment, from mobile irrigation systems to tractors, blueberry pickers and more. This role allows for independent work with your team as you are dispatched to various field locations for on-the-spot repairs, so independent and self-motivated candidates should find this environment ideal.
- Evaluate and diagnose mechanical problems with mobile heavy equipment throughout our agricultural operations
- Travel to various remote sites to accomplish field repairs on machines that have broken down in places where relocating them to the main shop would be counterproductive
- Communicate clearly with mechanical technicians and other team members providing support services during repair operations
- Document various steps taken throughout the repair process to ensure consistency in future repairs and in reporting on resources and supplies used
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various mechanical systems that go into each piece of mobile agricultural equipment in our operation’s various garage locations
- Supervise and train technicians and other support staff members whose primary responsibilities consist of assisting with operations
- Provide routine preventative maintenance on vehicles and other pieces of mobile heavy equipment to avert the need for repairs
- Track the maintenance rotation and ensure no pieces of equipment are missed during each maintenance cycle
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Mastery of mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems used in heavy agricultural equipment
- Completion of a technical certification program for mobile heavy equipment repair
- 3-5 years’ experience with heavy equipment repair in a similar position
- Supervisory experience
If you are looking to write a sharp, sophisticated mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description, you need to be able to communicate in the same language your top candidates will speak. That means being able to speak in detail about the exact kinds of equipment your company works with, as well as the maintenance needs you are currently hiring to fill.
Mechanics do not all have exactly the same background and credentials, so posting to a variety of locations like social media outlets and job boards that advertise to wide audiences is the best way to find the right candidate. Not every job board is free to post on, but MightyRecruiter offers employers the chance to post free job listings on hundreds of online sites. Make sure you take the time to head there and post jobs for free whenever you have a new opening at your company.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter