Mechanics who work on mobile heavy equipment operate in a variety of operations in different industries. From farming to construction, mining, and defense and military applications, mobile heavy equipment mechanics fulfill a variety of roles, which makes writing a specific mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description very important.
There are a variety of skills that every equipment mechanic needs, including the ability to break down the order of cause and effect in a mechanical system to understand where malfunctions exist and how they affect the system as a whole. To evaluate that, it is helpful to look for more discrete skills, like individual equipment repair certifications for your industry.
It is also helpful to make sure your mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description contains other skills related to the job, like familiarity with tools used in the industry and the ability to participate in quality oversight.
Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic Job Summary
When you join our team as a mobile heavy equipment mechanic, you get more than just a challenging job that will give you a variety of tasks at a variety of locations throughout our operation. You also gain the opportunity to demonstrate your leadership skills as the center of a team of technical specialists working to maintain all of our agricultural equipment, from mobile irrigation systems to tractors, blueberry pickers and more. This role allows for independent work with your team as you are dispatched to various field locations for on-the-spot repairs, so independent and self-motivated candidates should find this environment ideal.
- Evaluate and diagnose mechanical problems with mobile heavy equipment throughout our agricultural operations
- Travel to various remote sites to accomplish field repairs on machines that have broken down in places where relocating them to the main shop would be counterproductive
- Communicate clearly with mechanical technicians and other team members providing support services during repair operations
- Document various steps taken throughout the repair process to ensure consistency in future repairs and in reporting on resources and supplies used
- Demonstrate knowledge of the various mechanical systems that go into each piece of mobile agricultural equipment in our operation’s various garage locations
- Supervise and train technicians and other support staff members whose primary responsibilities consist of assisting with operations
- Provide routine preventative maintenance on vehicles and other pieces of mobile heavy equipment to avert the need for repairs
- Track the maintenance rotation and ensure no pieces of equipment are missed during each maintenance cycle
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Mastery of mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems used in heavy agricultural equipment
- Completion of a technical certification program for mobile heavy equipment repair
- 3-5 years’ experience with heavy equipment repair in a similar position
- Supervisory experience
Want to use this job description?
Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of your mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description is essential to capturing the attention of the most qualified applicants. When written clearly and succinctly, this section can effectively communicate the core tasks and responsibilities of the position. Because it paints a vivid picture of the duties mechanics perform, it allows jobseekers to envision themselves in the role and helps them to determine whether they might be a good fit for it.
Straightforward and easy-to-read details are the key to a mobile heavy equipment mechanic job responsibilities section that attracts promising candidates. To ensure clarity and focus, utilize a bulleted structure. Though this list format enhances the overall readability of this section, you want to avoid overwhelming potential candidates with too much information. It is best to limit this portion to between six and eight bullet points. For maximum impact, begin each line with a strong action verb and exclude trivial daily tasks.
For sample responsibilities that may apply to your mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description, read through the list below.
- Perform routine safety inspections on heavy machinery prior to each shift
- Clean and make repairs on machinery as needed to ensure optimal functionality and safety
- Monitor machinery for needed replacements and make recommendations accordingly
- Adhere to all safety standards on various jobsites
Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanic Job Specifications
While the job responsibilities section lays out the performance expectations for the position, the qualifications and skills section identifies the qualities a candidate will need to fulfill those expectations. This section of your mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description may, at first, seem basic and somewhat insignificant, but it can make a substantial difference in your hiring process. Quickly weeding out unqualified candidates can help preserve your valuable time, energy and company resources.
To encourage qualified jobseekers to apply while deterring those who don’t meet the basic requirements, create a list of all of the qualities desired in a potential employee. Ask another manager or company leader to help brainstorm to ensure that every base is covered. After crafting the initial summary of mobile heavy equipment mechanic job specifications, review it slowly, taking care to identify the characteristics that are a must from those that are nonessential. Separating the two categories in this manner helps to further streamline the hiring process.
The list below offers a few sample specifications that you may incorporate into your mobile heavy equipment mechanic job description.
- High school diploma or GED
- Expertise in electrical and mechanical systems
- Minimum two years of relevant experience or documented completion of formal apprenticeship
- Welding skills preferred