The first step to finding the best talent for your company involves writing a compelling and alluring job description. This description will provide candidates with in-depth details about the position you seek to fill as well as your company, so it is only fitting that your description showcases a high degree of uniqueness and professionalism. This can be difficult to achieve, especially if you lack writing experience, but by following a few guidelines and tips, you can greatly simplify the process. If you are struggling to write a cohesive and dynamic job description, let the Mortgage Loan Officer Job Description Sample below serve as a template for your own.
Mortgage Loan Officer Job Summary
The mortgage loan officer will be responsible for attracting mortgage customers and completing loan processing and closing tasks. He or she will also be expected to develop close business contacts with a diverse group of consumers and supervise less-experienced staff members. The person in this role should have extensive banking and customer service experience.
Mortgage Loan Officer Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assists bank with meeting mortgage and human resource objectives by hiring, training, and counseling employees.
- Adheres to mortgage loan standards and laws
- Implements and contributes to various strategic plans and reviews
- Identifies ways of improving mortgage loan system
- Provides thorough and accurate budget information on an annual basis
- Monitors expenditures and decides on proper corrective actions
- Generates new loan applications using customer service skills
- Develops close relations ships with members of the real estate community
- Makes sales calls to potential customers
- Approves or declines loans using a variety of consumer lending and credit tools and criteria
- Maintains and stores large amounts of highly sensitive financial data and information
- Assists other bank employees with tasks as needed
Mortgage Loan Officer Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to communicate in an effective and professional manner
- Prior experience working in a banking environment
- Knowledge of auditing process
- Comfortable utilizing financial software programs
- Strong analysis and organizational skills
- Willingness to adhere to confidentiality rules
- Able to independently make decisions
- Ability to excel in a driven and team-oriented financial environment
For almost 100 years, First Financial Bank has provided the community with exceptional banking and financial services. Our clients are our top priority, and we offer an enormous selection of services that will appeal to people from all walks of life. Whether you want to apply for a mortgage, or simply open a checking account, our knowledgeable and friendly banking professionals will be able to assist you. We are a premier bank, and we won’t stop working until you meet or exceed all of your financial goals and more.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- The sample above is an excellent example of what an effective and appealing job description should look like. It is intended to help you write your own, but if you need a bit more guidance, you are not alone. The tips below will provide you with additional description-writing advice.
- Do include a location. If your job description does not contain a location, you may end up receiving a tidal wave of applications from individuals outside of your targeted area. Be sure to always include the state, city, and general area where the position will be located.
- Do use keywords in your description. Keywords will help your job listing appear first if a candidate enters certain words into a search engine, such as Yahoo or Google. If your description contains too many or too few keywords, it may be difficult to find.
- Do proofread your job description. No one wants to post a description that contains numerous misspelled words or grammatical errors. If you neglect to proofread your description before posting it, you could potentially seem uneducated or unprofessional.
- Don’t create a vague or unclear title. When you are writing a title, be sure that it matches the position you are looking to fill. If your title is too specific, you may alienate potential applicants. If you use abbreviations, be sure to include them alongside the actual professional title.
- Don’t include irrelevant information. When it comes to an effective job description, it is best to stick with the main facts. Excessive information can confuse and annoy candidates, and make it difficult to distinguish between important and unimportant details.
By studying the Mortgage Loan Officer Job Description Sample above and employing these simple, yet effective tips, you will be able to craft a description that will entice and excite applicants.
Mortgage Loan Officer Job Responsibilities
When jobseekers search for a job, they tend to focus mainly on the job responsibilities section. This determines whether they see themselves in the position and if they apply. That is why it is imperative that your mortgage loan officer job description explain in clear detail what a typical day at the job looks like.
One of the ways to make this section easy to read is to incorporate bullet points to list the mortgage loan officer job responsibilities. While you want to list the bulk of the expectations, you should limit it to 6-8 essential duties so it is not overwhelming. Take advantage of action verbs to make it easy for the applicant to envision him or herself in the position.
The following are examples of some responsibilities for a mortgage loan officer job description:
- Actively identify, solicit and develop relationships with builders, realtors and other referral partners to increase client base
- Gather information from loan applicants and answer all questions about loan process; obtain and analyze applicant’s financial information
- Explain different types of loans and identify the varying terms
- Approve or deny loan applications; consult with management and credit risk department for complicated applications
- Expedite loan process by following up with documentation, reviewing pipeline on a regular basis and interacting with title companies and realtors
Mortgage Loan Officer Job Specifications
Once you have outlined what responsibilities the applicant should expect in the position, now is the time to describe what your company requires from the candidate in terms of qualifications and skills. While it may be tempting to rush through this section, it is important that you lay out all of the mortgage loan officer job specifications. By listing both required and ideal skills, you can narrow down the applicant pool to only the qualified jobseekers.
If unsure about what exactly to include in the mortgage loan officer job description, talk with those who are familiar with the position. Discuss with management the type of employee you would like in the company and come up with a list of minimum and preferred qualifications. By placing these in two separate sections, applicants can quickly scan to see if they have what it takes to even be considered.
Here are some common skills included in a mortgage loan officer job description:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of two years of experience in mortgage lending industry
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Sales experience with strong ability to close the deal
- Demonstrated ability in analysis, problem-solving and time management
- Current MLO license required