Factories are at a standstill without multiple machine tool setters. These workers are critical to manufacturers’ operations because they are the ones who set up and operate the machines or robots that cut, form and shape the metal and plastic pieces that become the final product.
Your multiple machine tool setter job description should mention your on-the-job training program, as this is how candidates get their start in this dynamic field. A high school diploma is required, and candidates who have completed computer programming and/or vocational technology studies are stronger than those who have not.
Your ideal candidates will be mathematically inclined, as they must read blueprints. Look for those who understand algebra, geometry and trigonometry. Physical stamina and strength is also crucial to this job, and our multiple machine tool setter job description below can help you articulate all job requirements quickly and easily.
Multiple Machine Tool Setter Job Summary
Without you, our assembly line is at a standstill. We are looking for multiple machine tool setters to breathe life into the machines and robots that cut and assemble the metals and plastics used to manufacture our products. You will be at the heart of our factory operations and part of a dynamic team of workers who take pride in their final products. Yes, you must have a high school diploma and be good at math, but we will provide your on-the-job training. Enjoy the challenge of reading machine blueprints and setting up and operating the latest tools in manufacturing technology. The machines and robots you build will thank you for helping them come to life.
- Set up auxiliary machines, borers, cutters, drills, grinders, lathes, millers, presses and shears for their daily work in the production line
- Install and align cutters, dies, drills, guides and holding devices accurately using hand tools, measuring instruments and templates
- Set machines’ cutting angles, depths, speed and feed rates according to production plans
- Start up machines to engage their operating mechanisms, including cooling, feeding and lubricating components
- Cut or form the material according to plans and then inspect a cut or form for accuracy using measuring instruments such as rules and templates prior to each day’s full production
- Check machine for operating malfunctions or final product defects while cutting or forming throughout the day to ensure it continues to cut or form material per specifications; make any necessary repairs or adjustments
- Maintain machines daily, including cleaning and/or oiling all working parts and ensuring there is plenty of coolant in the appropriate reservoirs
- Remove jammed materials from machine using proper safety protocols and equipment, such as lift bars and wires hooks, when needed; notify supervisor of repetitive jam issues and when machine requires servicing over and above your maintenance responsibilities
Job Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Willingness to participate in on-the-job training
- Basic understanding of algebra, geometry and trigonometry
- Ability to stand for extended periods
- Ability to bend, twist and endure repetitive motion
- Some computer programming studies
- Some vocational training
- Experience with machine setting tools
Multiple Machine Tool Setter Job Responsibilities
An effective multiple machine tool setter job description incorporates a detailed responsibilities section that clearly defines the role of the position. When successful, it helps limit the number of unqualified applicants and increases appeal for the top talent. Before writing, take a moment to learn the basics of an effective job responsibilities section.
Consisting of the bulk of your job description, this section should provide substantial detail about the role beyond general day-to-day tasks. It should illustrate the jobseeker’s contribution within the entire operation and emphasize specific roles. Though this section should be thorough, remember not to overdo it. Limit your list to 6-8 distinct duties, use bullet points and start each item with an action verb.
In order to attract the best candidates with your multiple machine tool setter job description, you need to present core functions that are professionally challenging and enriching without intimidating jobseekers. To get a clearer idea of how to accomplish this, take a look at the content and format of the following multiple machine tool setter job responsibilities:
- Calibrate and operate cutting machines, including lathes, borers, cutters and drill presses
- Inspect products for defects and recalibrate machines
- Improve manufacturing efficiency
- Transpose blueprints to machinable templates
Multiple Machine Tool Setter Job Specifications
Essential to limiting the applicant pool, the qualifications and skills section of your multiple machine tool setter job description needs to establish clear expectations for candidates. If the criteria are too general, you risk flooding your inbox with resumes from underqualified or overqualified applicants. Your job specifications should be specific and depict attributes of the ideal candidate.
Like the responsibilities portion, this section should be a detailed but concise list of the most important credentials. It should be specific yet encompass a wide range of skills to attract diverse talent. Include a mix of preferred and required skills in your multiple machine tool setter job description. Note that required competencies are those you deem most essential for the job and usually include minimum education and training levels. Preferred skills typically refer to experience level and can be more flexible. When done properly, the qualifications and skills section should attract stronger, more suitable candidates for the role.
Here are a few examples of multiple machine tool setter job specifications to help you get started:
- High school diploma or GED required
- Safety certification preferred
- Equipment maintenance and operation
- Coordination and productive social perceptiveness
- Computer literate (spreadsheets, email and word processing)
- 1 year of experience preferred