Music directors work with musical groups to prepare them for concerts. They select pieces to perform and help the musicians attain the right sound for different pieces. They also hold auditions to find new musicians and hire soloists for special events.
Including necessary skills in your music director job description is essential. Many music directors need either a bachelor’s or master’s degree and must be proficient with many instruments. They must understand the nuances of musical scores and be able to conduct a group to match volume and phrasing. Other duties include organizing accompanists and scheduling rehearsals.
Music directors also need to have a good ear to tell when the pitch is incorrect. Additionally, many need to be effective communicators so all of the musicians understand the requirements of a piece. Look at the music director job description template below to understand what you should include in your job posting.
Music Director Job Summary
Do you love working with people from all walks of life and finding common ground through music? If you like to help people achieve their musical best, you may be a good fit for our music director job opening. Our fast-paced environment allows you to work on a variety of musical projects and provides the opportunity to work with professionals on new, exciting pieces of music. You will help implement regional music events and will report to our divisional music director. This is a great position for someone who embraces a creative atmosphere, enjoys collaboration and wants to hold a leadership role in the arts.
- Lead regular music rehearsals, dictating the volume, phrasing and tempo of each piece, and conduct the group during performances throughout the year
- Select music that will be a good fit for the musicians and offer a challenge, as well as appeal to your audience, and transpose music as needed
- Examine musical scores to determine your interpretation and develop a deep understanding of the piece before presenting it to group members
- Choose soloists for special events and coordinate rehearsals so soloists and groups can adequately prepare for concerts
- Oversee staff daily as they copy and arrange music and provide coaching to the musicians
- Record CD tracks so musicians can listen to difficult sections of individual parts
- Schedule performances and arts outreach opportunities, and collaborate with program directors to identify new music events
- Evaluate group members every quarter and provide in-depth feedback so all musicians can work on their craft to achieve higher stages of excellence
Job Skills &Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to music
- Leadership skills to direct musicians and make decisions for the group
- Creative thinking to bring out the full potential of a piece
- Five years’ experience directing musical groups
- Familiarity with musical instrument digital interfaces and editing software
Once you have created your music director job description, you need to make sure the right people find it. You may want to use several methods to place your job in the path of jobseekers. One simple way to make sure your job is found is to make your company website compatible with mobile phones. Additionally, announce your job on your social media networks. Keep these posts short and link them to your job application so candidates can easily apply.
Another thing you may want to consider is setting up a referral system. Rewarding your employees for sharing the job posting on social networking sites can place your job in front of more people. Job boards can also be a good path. Identify the job boards that regularly see high traffic and cater to the demographic you are seeking. Consider using MightyRecruiter for free job postings.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter