It’s the job of musicians to play instruments as well as sometimes sing songs for both live audiences and during recording sessions. Musicians are needed across a variety of music genres, including jazz, gospel, electronica, heavy metal and R&B. These professionals are also expected to practice their craft so they can always perform at their best and improve upon their current skill level.
Your musician job description should include being willing to accept and learn from rejection as well as possessing the discipline necessary to better one’s technique and style. Another skill common for musicians is the ability to work with a variety of people and personalities.
You might want to point out in your musician job description that you prefer applicants who are able to handle your rehearsal and performance schedules and any traveling that might be required. Finally, you might rather work with candidates who excel at self-promotion.
Musician Job Summary
Our nightclub is in need of a musician who’s familiar with playing the tenor saxophone and some knowledge of playing the bass, or at least a willingness to learn. We’ll rely on you to accompany our other musicians and entertain our audiences with professional and thrilling performances. The job also requires candidates looking to improve their skills and work with some of the leading jazz and neo-soul acts known both locally and worldwide. Your dedication and musical talent will be well-rewarded with financial compensation, comped meals, tickets to our shows as well as shows with our sister nightclub and opportunities for occasional travel across the country and to international destinations.
- Play and sing for studio recordings and live audiences by reading sheet music, making changes as you see fit and as the performance requires
- Rehearse with the band at least three times a week and on your own when necessary to make performances as flawless as possible and to improve your personal technique
- Travel to local and long-distance venues as needed, also making no more than five international trips a year for various festivals
- Help promote the nightclub by making occasional appearances on the radio and on local media channels, participating in social media marketing campaigns (mostly photos and interviews)
- Play and sing at occasional weddings, private parties and club functions as needed
- Write your own music to record and perform for the band and for resident singers, offering creative and constructive suggestions for improvement when you see fit
- Provide vocals for singers to add harmony and support to the lead singer as it becomes necessary during the course of a performance
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least three years of experience performing with a professional jazz band
- Able to sight read music
- Willingness and dedication to practicing often
- Completion of an undergraduate music degree program (associate’s or bachelor’s)
- Some singing ability
- Solid listening and communication skills
Once you’ve drafted your professional musician job description, it’s time to make sure you put it in front of the eyes of the most qualified candidates who can improve the musical capabilities of your business. Of course, you’ll want to put your description on your company website, but don’t stop there. Utilize your professional social media platforms and get your employees involved.
MightyRecruiter is here to help you out when it comes to spreading the word about your need for a professional musician. We offer you a way to post jobs for free that’s quick and easy, ensuring you stand the best chance of attracting the best applicants and filling the position as soon as possible.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter