Biologists, chemists, physicists and other scientists make a difference in how people live their lives. A natural sciences manager supervises these scientists and directs the research and development activities, including quality control, production and testing.
Education is important in this position, and your natural sciences manager job description must reflect your desired post-graduate level. Some positions only require a bachelor’s degree, but most require a master’s degree or a Ph.D. in the related science. Related work experience in the science is also crucial toward attaining a management position.
Naturally, critical thinking and research skills are necessary for this job, as are topnotch communication skills. The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader and possess advanced interpersonal, problem-solving and time-management skills. Review the natural sciences manager job description below for a better idea of what to include in your job posting.
Natural Sciences Manager Job Summary
We are looking for the ideal candidate who is ready to advance our knowledge and understanding of how things work. If you have a passion for math, physics and science, then we want you. We are looking for a natural sciences manager to direct our lab personnel to new discoveries sure to improve what we do. You will be a dynamic leader in charge of dynamic team ready to research, test and analyze new developments in our field. You will have the opportunity to be the boss of some of the best scientists in the world – yes, we’re proud of our team – and together, you will make new discoveries that will go down in history.
- Meet with engineers, regulators and scientists daily to plan new research and development and to provide technical assistance on existing research
- Meet with new clients and develop relationships to propose new research and development that will improve their products or services on an as-needed basis
- Update clients regularly on project statuses, and present and explain research findings at the completion of each project
- Supervise all lab personnel on a daily basis and provide support where necessary
- Review ongoing project activities to determine progress and success or failure of project and guide lab personnel toward solutions to any existing issues
- Meet with company management regularly to outline scientific and technical goals and to design the best plan to achieve those outlined goals
- Write and implement policies and procedures for conduct and testing standards in the laboratory to ensure all operations comply with local, state and federal regulations
- Hire and supervise all laboratory personnel
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in related science
- At least five years of experience in research and development role
- Extensive communications skills
- Experience with LIMS, SAS, SPSS, STATISTICA, StataCorp Stata or other analytical/scientific software
- Record of past successful research and development projects
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in related science
- Previous laboratory supervisory role
It takes more than a well-written natural sciences manager job description to draw the best candidates to your pool. You must advertise your opening extensively on the resources people use most. Even “science geeks” have a presence on social media and in discussion forums, so get online and tell them about your job opening. Join the conversation; don’t be shy.
You will also want to use some traditional advertising methods, such as posting your recruitment ad in newspapers, science and technical periodicals, and in the career section of your website. Expand your outreach even further by reaching hundreds of job boards at one time when you post jobs for free through MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter