Biologists, chemists, physicists and other scientists make a difference in how people live their lives. A natural sciences manager supervises these scientists and directs the research and development activities, including quality control, production and testing.
Education is important in this position, and your natural sciences manager job description must reflect your desired post-graduate level. Some positions only require a bachelor’s degree, but most require a master’s degree or a Ph.D. in the related science. Related work experience in the science is also crucial toward attaining a management position.
Naturally, critical thinking and research skills are necessary for this job, as are topnotch communication skills. The ideal candidate will be an excellent leader and possess advanced interpersonal, problem-solving and time-management skills. Review the natural sciences manager job description below for a better idea of what to include in your job posting.
Natural Sciences Manager Job Summary
We are looking for the ideal candidate who is ready to advance our knowledge and understanding of how things work. If you have a passion for math, physics and science, then we want you. We are looking for a natural sciences manager to direct our lab personnel to new discoveries sure to improve what we do. You will be a dynamic leader in charge of dynamic team ready to research, test and analyze new developments in our field. You will have the opportunity to be the boss of some of the best scientists in the world – yes, we’re proud of our team – and together, you will make new discoveries that will go down in history.
- Meet with engineers, regulators and scientists daily to plan new research and development and to provide technical assistance on existing research
- Meet with new clients and develop relationships to propose new research and development that will improve their products or services on an as-needed basis
- Update clients regularly on project statuses, and present and explain research findings at the completion of each project
- Supervise all lab personnel on a daily basis and provide support where necessary
- Review ongoing project activities to determine progress and success or failure of project and guide lab personnel toward solutions to any existing issues
- Meet with company management regularly to outline scientific and technical goals and to design the best plan to achieve those outlined goals
- Write and implement policies and procedures for conduct and testing standards in the laboratory to ensure all operations comply with local, state and federal regulations
- Hire and supervise all laboratory personnel
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in related science
- At least five years of experience in research and development role
- Extensive communications skills
- Experience with LIMS, SAS, SPSS, STATISTICA, StataCorp Stata or other analytical/scientific software
- Record of past successful research and development projects
- Master’s degree or Ph.D. in related science
- Previous laboratory supervisory role
Natural Sciences Manager Job Responsibilities
A listing of job responsibilities is one of the most relevant sections for jobseekers weighing the pros and cons of an open position. A precise description of daily and extended objectives should be one of the most substantive sections in a natural sciences manager job description. This field is broad, but the positions in it are usually highly specialized. You will want to specify the subfield and ensure that this section is precise and informative.
The job responsibilities section of a natural sciences manager job description should provide candidates with all the information necessary to comprehend the requirements of this role while remaining easy to skim. List no more than eight responsibilities set off with bullet points to make it easy for prospective applicants to get a sense of what this position will entail.
Here are a few general natural sciences manager job responsibilities suitable for a job description in this field:
- Design and document experimentation procedures that adhere to the scientific method and professional standards
- Lead teams of researchers in investigations related to corporate or organizational affairs
- Conduct independent research and communicate findings to management
- Offer informed scientific insight on relevant inquiries
- Develop policies and standards with regard to environmentally responsible development or production
Natural Sciences Manager Job Specifications
Jobseekers depend on the job qualifications and skills section of a natural sciences manager job description when determining whether to apply for an open position. This section is usually shorter than the job responsibilities section and specifies the background a candidate needs to fill an open position.
Be sure to include specifics that single out applicants who specialize in the area of natural science most relevant to your company. Make sure the requirements you state are accurate and reasonable by consulting with other natural science managers or specialists. Employees in related areas can also clarify the extent of research or publication experience you should expect from applicants for a managerial-level job.
Try to provide jobseekers with a brief but detailed list of specifications in your natural sciences manager job description. You may want to distinguish minimum required levels of education, experience or skills from preferred levels. Doing so can reduce the number of unsuitable applications you receive and give qualified applicants a sense of which aspects of their background to emphasize on their resume.
Here are several natural sciences manager job specifications that you can include in a job description:
- Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences; Ph.D. preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in a professional research context
- Expert-level proficiency with scientific software
- Ongoing research and recent publications in relevant areas