A nurse anesthetist is responsible for administering anesthesia to patients in a medical facility. This task may be done in preparation for a medical procedure such as surgery, but anesthesia may also be provided during or after an operation. Other instances for which a nurse anesthetist may provide anesthesia include therapeutic or diagnostic procedures.
A nurse anesthetist job description will outline many of the qualities and skills required to be successful in the position. You should seek candidates who indicate exemplary communication skills and critical thinking abilities. In addition to this, nurse anesthetists should have compassion towards their patients and interpersonal skills that allow them to interact with staff and patients effectively.
Crafting an attractive nurse anesthetist job description will attract a candidate who possess these and all other requisite qualifications. Consulting the example below should give you an idea of what makes a great job description.
Nurse Anesthetist Job Summary
As a nurse anesthetist at Sacred Heart Hospital, you can expect to treat a diverse range of patients and work in a fast-paced medical environment. You will coordinate and provide patient care from the point of taking vitals and charting information to providing anesthesia during surgery and other medical procedures. In the latter of these responsibilities, the ideal candidate will treat each patient carefully in administering the form of anesthesia most appropriate for their needs. We are seeking a candidate who can keep up with the demands of a busy hospital while embodying the role of a nurse anesthetist with professionalism, skill and compassion.
- Review patient history to prepare for procedures and identify any potential complications or issues that may arise as a preventative exercise
- Manage patient reactions to anesthesia and provide resolution in instances of poor reaction, reporting issues to superiors
- Select the medical instruments and drugs that will best be suited to the administration of anesthesia for each patient based upon age, gender, weight and other factors
- Check patient vitals, such as pulse and blood pressure, and document all information in patient records prior to beginning treatment
- Identify the appropriate dose of anesthesia required for the patient and the procedure that is to be completed
- Calm anxious patients and provide compassionate care that ensures every patient’s health is holistically cared for
- Assist anesthesiologist with processes required for sedation, using training to appropriately make suggestions and offer professional contributions
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment where life and death situations are common, if not the norm
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s degree or higher in nursing or related discipline
- Certified by the American Heart Association in Basic Life Support
- Licensed in the state in which the position is located
- Must have completed nurse training and anesthesia training programs
- At least three years of prior experience
- Ability to work for 10-12 hours per shift
- Experience with diverse patient populations
Writing a great nurse anesthetist job description is the first step to finding the right candidate for the position. Clear requirements and attractive descriptions are the best ways to lure applicants. Once you have completed this step, you need to find the audience who will respond and generate quality candidates. Finding the right route for publicizing the position may be more of a challenge.
The best way to do this is to get the job description out in front of many different potential candidates. By pursuing a variety of audiences, you will draw in diverse candidates and find the one who is right for your open nurse anesthetist position. If you want to post jobs for free and reach a wide range of professionals, you can visit MightyRecruiter and utilize the wealth of resources available to hiring managers.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter