If your company is looking to hire a new nurse manager, then there are a few things to bear in mind throughout the application process. You need to have a solid job description so that job hunters reading it know exactly what you are looking for and whether they have the skills to succeed. If you leave out these kinds of details, then you risk getting a ton of applications from people who are completely unqualified for the job. You may waste hours reading through resumes from people who have absolutely no chance of acquiring the position. This nurse manager sample job description shows you exactly how to write your own description so that nothing gets left out.
Nurse Manager Job Summary
Your primary responsibility will be overseeing the well-being of patients. That includes managing our team of nurses so that everyone gets the proper training and everyone has a job to do. In addition to helping the hospital’s patients, you will also need to provide comfort and medical instructions to patients’ family and friends.
Nurse Manager Job Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain nursing operations by coordinating schedules, initiating tasks and enforcing personnel policies
- Identify patient needs and build a personal rapport with everyone so that all patients are given a warm, compassionate environment
- Update the hospital’s procedures and policies and inform all staff members of any changes made
- Recruit new nurses and orient them to the organization’s environment
- Once patients are discharged, follow up with them to ensure they are abiding by any post-operative instructions and see how they are doing in general
- Maintain a clean, safe environment by ensuring all equipment and patient rooms get cleaned
- Prepare the annual budget, which can include analyzing variances, scheduling expenditures and recommending any corrective actions
- Ensure inventory remains fully stocked at all times and make orders when necessary
- Approve cost allocations and requisitions
Nurse Manager Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing or related field
- Current license to practice as a nurse
- At least three years of experience with nurse management
- Ability to supervise a team of 40
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to create a safe environment for staff and patients alike
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Knowledge of medication administration
- Ability to work as part of a team
Price County Hospital was established in 1911 with the singular goal of providing people in the area with easy-to-access healthcare. We are dedicated to providing all of our workers with a warm, caring environment where everyone strives for the same thing: the well-being of our community. If you are looking for a hospital where everyone gets treated like family, then apply to Price County Hospital today.
Writing a Job Description Best Practices
- This sample is a good outline to follow if you are trying to find a jumping off point for your own description. Before you post your description anywhere, make sure you read this list of additional rules to make your listing truly great.
- Do make it incredibly easy for people to apply. You do not want candidates to think they have forgotten something, so clearly state what you want to receive and where people need to send their materials to.
- Do not talk about anything vaguely. You want to avoid language that includes words like “maybe” or “sometimes.” You want to speak definitively about what your nurse manager is expected to accomplish.
- Do use SEO techniques correctly. There are a few ways you can make your job description stand out from the rest such as using valuable keywords or creating a unique, accurate URL. Professionals can be consulted if you need some extra help in this area.
- Do utilize bullet points. As you can see from this nurse manager sample job description, the responsibilities and qualifications are discussed using bulleted lists. You want to use the exact same format for your own description so that the information is easier to read.
- Do mention salary if your company allows it. Some people in HR may not want to publicly disclose how much you are willing to pay your nurse manager, so leave it out if that is the case. However, if you can discuss it, then it can be a good way for job hunters to know whether they would be happy with their pay.
The success of your healthcare facility is dependent on having a fantastic nurse manager working for you. Take the time to find the best manager for your organization.
Nurse Manager Job Responsibilities
Every hiring manager’s goal is to bring on the best applicant after posting a nurse manager job description. However, you can be reasonably certain the best candidate will have several job offers. You need to make a good impression on jobseekers right from the start, and it begins by crafting an informative job listing. One vital component of this is creating a relevant nurse manager job responsibilities section.
Before posting a job description, you should determine what duties this person is going to have to perform on a regular basis. This person should be filling a need your organization has, so you should already have a good idea of what the main responsibilities are. Generally, there is no need to list out every single duty the person will have to do over the course of employment. Instead, you should focus on the main tasks so that readers do not feel overwhelmed once they reach the end of the nurse manager job description.
If you need a nurse manager, then chances are he or she will be performing the following tasks:
- Maintain communication system between medical staff and supervisory board
- Conduct various fiscal operations, including establishing service rates and planning budgets
- Supervise and direct nursing staff, ensuring everyone remains on task
- Assist in the recruitment and training of additional personnel
Nurse Manager Job Specifications
You help yourself and jobseekers by clearly listing out essential nurse manager job specifications. The job qualifications and skills section should include the skills essential to do this line or work successfully. You help jobseekers because they know whether they should even bother applying for the position. You also help yourself because you are creating less work for you to do down the line. You will end up with fewer resumes, but chances are good the resumes you do receive will be from people who will excel in this position.
If you are wondering what skills to put in your nurse manager job description, then you can review similar descriptions to see what they include. You can also talk with people at your organization who work as managers. They will be able to tell you the kind of qualifications they had to obtain this position.
The skills and qualifications section of your nurse manager job description requires a bullet point list format, similar to the same list provided below:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing
- Minimum of three years of experience working in healthcare
- Valid registered nursing license
- Familiarity with medical software
- Great customer service skills
- Ability to coordinate operational activities