Nutritionists evaluate and promote good health among their clients, both public and private, through food. Nutritionists may work as private consultants or as employees of institutions with food service-related divisions, and some work as researchers or meal planners. They may specialize in the management of specific health issues through nutrition or simply advocate the benefits of a healthy diet in general.
As you begin writing your nutritionist job description, make a list of qualities your candidate should possess, such as organizational, listening and problem-solving skills. Public speaking, educational and coaching skills are also vital to this role.
Depending on the location of your company, any nutritionist you hire may be required to be licensed by the state and complete continuing education hours every five years to maintain that licensure. To find out more about what to include in your nutritionist job description, look closely at the example below.
Nutritionist Job Summary
Are you a certified nutritionist with a passion for helping others achieve optimum health? Our clinic is looking for someone who wants to make a difference in the lives of our community members by educating them about basic nutrition. As a nutritionist on our health advocacy team, you would be working with a small group of like-minded health professionals to share the joy of fresh, nourishing food with local families. Our programs, which you would help to organize and staff, include both one-on-one nutrition counseling and group events like Friday Night Cooking Class and our annual summertime Healthy Harvest Expo.
- Read and evaluate research in the field of nutrition to share with the team and incorporate into your practice
- Meet with community members to assess their nutritional needs, taking into consideration any preexisting health conditions
- Work closely with physicians, both inside and outside the team, to provide the best care and nutrition recommendations to clients
- Counsel families and individuals about nutrition-related issues, ensuring that they have the knowledge and understanding required to implement their prescribed nutrition plans when they leave the clinic
- Follow up with clients to ensure they have the tools and resources to stick with their nutritional programs
- Coordinate and staff ongoing events, such as Friday Night Cooking Class and Healthy Moms and Tots, following up with participants and encouraging completion of feedback forms
- Coordinate and staff annual or quarterly events, such as Healthy Harvest Expo, Heart-Healthy Holidays, Food Storage 101 and Brown Bag Basics
- Represent the clinic in public, including giving interviews and providing expert opinions on community health issues
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- State certification and licensure
- Previous experience managing or coordinating a comprehensive nutrition program in a public setting
- Ability to work with others on a daily basis
- Familiarity with office software applications
- Database management experience
Now that you have some ideas about how to compose your nutritionist job description, you can finalize the details and start spreading the word about your employment opportunity. Start by posting the ad on your company’s website and internal job board. It might also be a good idea to send out a company-wide email with the job posting attached so that your current employees can easily forward it to any qualified people they know.
Another huge arena for finding and attracting qualified candidates is the internet. There are a huge number of job boards out there that you could post to, but where should you begin, and how much time do you have to invest in adding your post to various websites? MightyRecruiter can help solve this problem, giving you the ability to post jobs for free to hundreds of job boards at once.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter