Ophthalmic laboratory technicians support patients by constructing customized eyeglasses and contact lenses. They often use specialized equipment and computer programs to automate the process, though they may also create some items by hand. Some specialists may develop lenses for telescopes and binoculars.
When writing your ophthalmic laboratory technician job description, you should include adequate on-the-job training and apprenticeship experience. Most positions require at least a high school diploma, and there may be professional certificate programs available as well.
Along with technical proficiency and training, there are other skills candidates should have, including excellent dexterity and attention to detail. They often work in teams and collaborate with ophthalmologists, so good communication abilities are essential. Read through the professional ophthalmic laboratory technician job description below to see how to include all the necessary information in your own job listing.
Ophthalmic Laboratory Technician Job Summary
If you are looking for a hands-on job in the medical community with interesting challenges and numerous chances to strengthen your professional resume, apply for our ophthalmic laboratory technician opening. You will work with ophthalmologists and other technicians to create customized eyeglasses and contact lenses for a wide variety of medical clients and direct customers. You can even participate in on-the-job training for the chance to work in the optical instruments group, creating specialized lenses for telescopes and other optical equipment. We are passionate about supporting career advancement and offer one-on-one mentorship and opportunities for promotion. You will also enjoy competitive pay, excellent benefits and a fun team environment with several morale-building activities throughout the year.
- Collect and study detailed work orders and prescriptions for ophthalmic equipment, such as contact lenses and eyeglasses, and determine which manual and automatic equipment to use in the manufacturing process
- Determine proper specifications and settings for laboratory equipment, including requirements for additional tools or attachments, to efficiently and accurately fulfill work orders
- Use manual and computer-aided tools to form, shape and modify materials as necessary to create customized lenses and optical devices
- Measure and examine finished lenses to determine compliance with work order requirements, and repair any defects or issues by polishing, shaping or remaking material as needed
- Inspect completed products for functionality and appearance, and complete shipping and documentation tasks according to standardized procedures
- Collaborate with laboratory personnel and ophthalmologists to develop new procedures for improving fit, effectiveness and comfort of eyeglasses, contact lenses and other optical devices
- Complete repair work orders by choosing optimal repair procedure or manufacturing replacement equipment to meet order requirements and maintain laboratory efficiency
- Participate in on-the-job training to become proficient with all laboratory equipment, and then train new laboratory technicians
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma plus at least one year of ophthalmic lab work experience
- Experience with ophthalmic laboratory equipment and computer programs
- Detail-oriented with excellent dexterity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Associate degree in science, healthcare or a related field
Hiring the right professional for your company requires a cohesive recruiting campaign that starts with a well-written ophthalmic laboratory technician job description. The next step is to post the job listing where qualified and motivated candidates will see it. Most hiring managers agree that posting in multiple places yields the best response from high-quality applicants.
The internet offers numerous posting options, including paid and free job boards and professional social networks. You may also want to post your listing on your company’s official website or send it to current employees and request personal recommendations. The key is to find the most efficient way of posting to all these places so you can reduce the amount of time it takes to find the right candidate. MightyRecruiter can simplify the process by creating free job postings on hundreds of boards.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter