An ophthalmic medical technician has a range of duties relating to the care and treatment of patients’ eye health. This typically entails providing examinations, diagnosing eye ailments and diseases and prescribing medication as necessary. The position may also involve prescribing corrective eye wear or assisting in the manufacturing of corrective eyewear for patients.
In order to attract the most qualified candidates, you should craft an ophthalmic medical technician job description that is as engaging as possible. Beneficial details include a description of the skills you seek, the required qualifications and other important information relevant to the position. Strong candidates should exhibit good communication skills, the ability to show compassion and a willingness to find solutions for each and every patient.
Consulting the following ophthalmic medical technician job description template is a great place to start drafting your own version.
Ophthalmic Medical Technician Job Summary
As an ophthalmic medical technician, you will be responsible for providing general care to patients seeking treatment for their eyes and sight. A typical day will be fast-paced, fun and include tasks such as administering eye exams, managing patient flow, documenting patient heath information and performing tests for glaucoma and visual acuity. You will also provide assistance to doctors performing optometric procedures and instruct patients in correct aftercare and recovery. If you are skilled in providing patient care and general medical assistance as it relates to ophthalmology, you have the skills our office needs! You should also be excited by the challenge of working in a busy medical facility and interacting with patients of all ages and backgrounds.
- Administer eye exams and record all information gathered in the patient’s medical history as is appropriate
- Test patients for glaucoma and acuity by collecting data from visual fields, PAM, K readings and other instruments used to diagnose eye health
- Provide pre- and post-operational ophthalmic care to patients who have received laser eye surgery and other procedures
- Inform patients proactively and answer any questions regarding best practices for optimal eye health that may arise during their visit
- Communicate with doctors and surgeons to make patients’ relevant information and needs known to them as it relates to treatment
- Maintain all equipment used in the facility by cleaning and monitoring it daily and arranging repairs through the designated service provider when necessary
- Utilize patient management software to effectively maintain files and correctly document all details regarding a patient’s visit and medical history
- Interact with patients in a positive, inviting manner so as to make them comfortable and minimize any anxieties
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must possess an associate-level degree in medical technology or a related field
- Must have successfully completed a training program in ophthalmology
- Must have three years of experience working in a medical facility
- Completion of a JCAHPO Certified training program
- Experience with laser eye surgery and technology
Writing a great ophthalmic medical technician job description can help you get the attention of the very best candidates. The example job description contained above illustrates the power of clear descriptions and specificity. Once you have drafted a job description that represents the position, you need to get it in front of the right audience.
There are a number of platforms you can utilize to promote your job description, of course, but you are likely to reach the most people by posting it on online job boards. Publicizing it on social media and your company’s website may also be helpful in reaching a diverse range of candidates. If you would like to post jobs for free and reach out to even more applicants, you can do so with the tools offered by MightyRecruiter.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter