Optometrists are responsible for examining, diagnosing and treating parts of the visual system. Typical duties include performing vision tests, diagnosing sight problems, prescribing contact lenses and eyeglasses, performing surgical procedures, and providing rehabilitation or therapy for vision issues. Many optometrists will also counsel patients to help promote eye health.
There are a number of important qualities that good optometrists possess, and these should be included in your optometrist job description. Being detail-oriented is important in order for patients to receive the correct treatment, prescriptions and medications. Optometrists should also be good at making decisions in regards to the best treatments for patients.
Because much of their day is spent with patients, optometrists need to have good interpersonal skills and be able to communicate clearly with patients and other healthcare professionals. Take a look at the following optometrist job description template to get an idea of how to create yours.
Optometrist Job Summary
Are you an optometrist who is looking for a place to develop professionally? Do you want to be a part of a dynamic and thriving group? In our practice, you will be able to use your skills and expertise to provide high-quality vision care to our patients. You will have the opportunity to get to know your patients, as you will be involved with their care from beginning to end. We have also built great relationships with medical doctors and ophthalmologists, which will help build your referrals. Your hard work will be rewarded with a great salary, a company-matched 401K, paid holidays and great benefits including long-term disability insurance.
- Document history including complaint and relevant symptoms, ocular health, medication usage, medical and family history, current vision aide if applicable, and any other pertinent data
- Examine eyes using observation, pharmaceutical agents and instruments to determine visual perception, acuity, coordination and focus. Tests may include subjective refractions, retinoscopy, lensometry, slit lamp examination, visual fields, pupil and mobility testing, genioscopy, and tear function testing
- Based on exam, diagnose diseases and anomalies such as color blindness or glaucoma
- Clearly document diagnosis and treatment plan, including referrals, therapeutic prescriptions and long-term medical management, in patients’ charts
- Prescribe and fit vision aides such as contact lenses and eyeglasses
- Perform eye surgeries, such as laser vision correction and cataract, and provide pre- and post-operative care
- Maintain communication with ophthalmology, optical and support staff in order to optimize quality clinical care and service
- Provide any necessary low-vision rehabilitation and vision therapy to improve visual issues
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Doctor of Optometry (OD) Degree
- State optometric license
- Minimum two years of work experience
- Ability to work weekends
- Completion of one-year ACOE accredited residency program
- Glaucoma certified
- Certified to use therapeutic pharmaceutical agents
- Experience with Electronic Medical Record
While writing a compelling optometrist job description is a great first step when looking for the perfect job candidate, there is more that you need to do. In order to get the word out, make sure you are posting the job in a variety of places so it will be seen by the right jobseekers. Posting it on your website is a good start, but you should also post it on social network sites such as Facebook and LinkedIn.
A great place to post your job description is on an online job board. There are hundreds of boards that will showcase your job, but posting on each one can be very time-consuming. Instead, consider using a tool such as MightyRecruiter. MightyRecruiter will post jobs for free on multiple job boards on your behalf.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter