The buck stops with order clerks. They are the personnel who receive and process a business’ incoming orders. They receive these orders electronically or via fax, mail or phone. The orders they process include classified ads, materials, merchandise or business services.
When writing an order clerk job description, be certain to include customer service as an important skill, as these clerks work directly with your customers acknowledging the orders, informing customers of shipment dates and delays, handling pricing questions and fielding complaints. Excellent organizational skills are also necessary, as is familiarity with databases and spreadsheet applications.
You want your order clerk to work well independently and possess the critical thinking and problem solving skills necessary to handle any issues with customer orders. Review the order clerk job description below for a better understanding of what your narrative may include.
Order Clerk Job Summary
Being an order clerk might sound dull, but when you enter into this dynamic position, you will be making our customers happy. If you love to add sunshine to people’s days, then process the orders for the materials they are dying to receive. You will be the first and most important customer contact as you receive orders electronically and through our fax and phone system. Our customers will jump for joy when they open your confirmation email, and they’ll be even happier when you let them know their order is on its way. Fielding customer inquiries and complaints will be another important facet of your job, and we have a comprehensive system in place to help you help them.
- Receive customer orders daily via electronic ordering system, fax and phone
- Verify customer information on each order when received against company database to confirm all contact information is correct; update database where necessary
- Verify order information is correct on each order when received and that all merchandise purchased is in stock and priced correctly
- Contact customer directly on each order when received if there are questions regarding customer information or discrepancies between customer information on the order and the company database
- Contact customer directly on each order when received if there is an issue with the order, such as merchandise pricing difference, shipping delays or other concerns
- Enter order into fulfillment system for processing, including packaging and shipping preparation; verify order is correct prior to shipment
- Notify customer when order is received and shipped using the customer’s preferred contact method on each order received
- Answer customer service line and field customer questions and complaints daily
Job Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to communicate professionally with angry customers
- Willingness to participate in on-the-job training
- One to two years order clerk experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and database applications
Don’t make the mistake of thinking all you have to do to secure the best new employee for the job is to place your job description on your website. There’s an entire job-hunting world out there in cyber space, and you’ll want to take advantage of all the job placement tools available to you. Remember, your goal is to fill this position one time only with the perfect person who will stay for years to come.
Post your order clerk job description on your social media pages and make certain you tweet about it and provide a link to your online application. Advertising this opening on social media pages won’t cost you a dime, unless you opt for their paid ads. You won’t need to, however, if you also take advantage of the free job postings to numerous boards offered through MightyRecruiter for full recruiting outreach.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter