Outdoor power equipment mechanics work on motorized power equipment to ensure that they operate properly. Their work may involve inspecting, servicing or repairing various motorized vehicles and equipment.
When creating your outdoor power equipment mechanic job description, make sure you bring attention to the most important qualifications you are looking for in an applicant. For example, you may require your mechanics to have a post-secondary non-degree award or a specific amount of on-the-job training. You can highlight any necessary qualifications in the skills and qualifications section of your job posting.
Mechanics should have good problem-solving skills and should be familiar with common mechanical problems and solutions. For more ideas about how to craft a great outdoor power equipment mechanic job description, take a look at the example enclosed.
Outdoor Power Equipment Mechanic Job Summary
Do you have a natural ability to diagnose problems in small engines, and do you love how it feels to single-handedly repair outdoor power equipment? If you’re the type of person who feels most at home when you have a little dirt under your fingernails or grease on your clothes, talk to us today! As an outdoor power equipment mechanic on our team, you will be treated with respect and will have opportunities to advance and develop your skills even further. You will have the opportunity to work on many different types and brands of outdoor power equipment. You will also be given competitive pay, great benefits and access to all the tools you need to succeed.
- Inspect and test engines regularly, both manually and with the help of diagnostic instruments, to locate broken or missing parts, identify malfunctions and determine what repairs are needed
- Perform repairs on broken or malfunctioning equipment, including compressors, portable saws, generators, lawn mowers and other outdoor power equipment
- Record all time spent making repairs, as well as detailed information about the types of repairs made and the parts used
- Adjust equipment parts as needed to ensure proper function, including spark plugs, valves, distributors, carburetors and others
- Disassemble engines as needed to perform maintenance and repairs, then reassemble all of the engine parts once maintenance work and repairs have been properly completed
- Perform routine maintenance services on outdoor power equipment, including tuning ignition systems, cleaning parts, honing cylinders and oiling parts as needed
- Obtain descriptions of power equipment problems from customers, management or other employees, then diagnose problems and prepare detailed cost estimates for all needed repairs
- Obtain specified clearances for parts by using taps, boring machines, reamers, lathes, grinders and micrometers to re-bore, re-tap, ream and grind parts
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle conflicts with patience and calmness
- Good verbal communication skills
- Certification in small engine mechanics
Writing a great outdoor power equipment mechanic job description is the most important step you can take toward hiring a qualified professional. Now, you need to make sure your job description is seen by the right candidates. Maximize the visibility of your posting by ensuring that it is posted in all the right places, including traditional job boards, your main website and social media pages. This is also a great time to make use of your professional networks by getting them to spread the word about your job opening to qualified job applicants via email and word-of-mouth methods.
You should also be aware that there are free online job listing resources available to you. Use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free to hundreds of boards at the same time and get your listing in front of a large number of people.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter