People who work in outside sales are responsible for generating leads and using them to sell the company’s products. They use business directories, attend trade shows and find other methods to identify potential customers, discuss their needs and demonstrate how the company can meet them. Outside sales also includes answering questions and addressing concerns about product use and availability as well as price.
As you write your outside sales job description, mention the importance of communication skills. Employees must be skilled not only in conveying their message but also in taking cues from others’ tones of voice or body language and adjusting the pitch accordingly.
Employees in the field interact with people on a daily basis and must have excellent organizational and time management skills. Read this outside sales job description template to help you determine what else to include in your own description.
Outside Sales Job Summary
Are you a true people person? Do you love sharing your stories and learning the stories of others? If so, we are looking for you. As an outside sales representative, you will spend your days interacting with people from all walks of life, teaching them about our products and services and showing how they meet a potential client’s needs. You’ll exercise your persuasion skills on a daily basis as you travel around the city to demonstrate products or meet with potential customers who have scheduled appointments to learn more information. If you love to work independently and want a flexible schedule, this is the job for you.
- Contact potential customers via telephone or in person to demonstrate products, answer questions about use, availability and pricing and show them how the product can meet their needs or solve a problem for them
- Generate leads by cold calling potential customers, using business directories or demonstrating our product in local business establishments
- Follow up on sales to ensure the customer has received the proper service and is fully satisfied with the product he or she received
- Maintain the company image by acting ethically and professionally and being courteous and friendly during every interaction with potential or current customers
- Attend training classes to learn about new products, gain insight into the best demonstration methods and learn techniques for engaging people and turning them into customers
- Maintain a professional physical image, including being well-groomed, wearing appropriate clothing when working and keeping a well-maintained vehicle
- Assist current customers by answering questions, addressing concerns, helping them complete documentation and processing returns when necessary
- Work closely with the inside sales team and support personnel to develop strategies and share knowledge regarding customers, products and sales techniques
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- At least 2 years of experience in sales
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills
- Valid driver’s license, insurance and a good driving record
- Bachelor’s degree in sales or a similar field
- Proven experience as an outside sales representative
Creating an excellent outside sales job description is only the first step when you are trying to engage talented individuals to work for your company. You also must post your description in the right places for maximum exposure.
Job boards are one of the best places to post your job description, but they should not be the only locations. Many jobseekers look at company websites or social media accounts to learn about open positions, so it is important to have a well-written and informative career page on your website. You can start on the right foot by using MightyRecruiter to help you create free job postings on hundreds of job boards with just a few simple clicks.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter