Before you start writing a payroll administrator job description, it’s recommended to research the job duties. Payroll administrators organize data for employee paychecks. They also calculate the number of hours worked and submit this information to the payroll processing company.
Your search should focus on candidates who have at least a high school diploma or an equivalency. It’s helpful to have experience in the field, but not necessarily a requirement. Additionally, some companies prefer to hire individuals who have taken college courses in finance, economics, business or advanced math.
Because of the nature of this work, the ideal candidate should be detail oriented. He or she also needs to understand how to use numbers and make complex math calculations. Below, you can get a taste of what this job posting could look like by looking at the payroll administrator job description template.
Payroll Administrator Job Summary
Get started in a rewarding career in human resources by joining our team as a payroll administrator. Our company is seeking motivated individuals who have a knack for numbers and a flair for details to join our payroll processing department. Payroll administrators review and process each department’s biweekly compensation schedule and ensure each staff member is paid accurately. In this position, you will work closely with other financial personnel to account for wage garnishments, employment taxes and retirement accounts within each employee’s paycheck. If you have the qualities we’re looking for and are committed to learning the business in our training program, we want to meet with you.
- Administer paychecks, deduction summaries and earnings statements for a staff of 35 across different departments on a biweekly schedule
- Record hours worked, wage amounts and other data about each employee into a computerized payroll accounting system each week
- Evaluate the accuracy of timesheets submitted by each company department every week and contact supervisors or individual employees when there is a discrepancy
- Create new data files for new employees and submit hiring paperwork into the system to set up a payroll account
- Enter information into the payroll system about employee taxes, exemptions, transfers, firings and resignations as details change
- Respond to any errors in payroll by reviewing past records and making any wage corrections or adjustments when necessary
- Track employee absences through the payroll software and record details about personal days, sick leave, jury duty and extended leaves of absence
- Answer employee questions about payroll, leave amounts, tax forms and other compensation issues when asked
Job Skills & Qualifications
- A high school diploma or a GED certificate
- Strong skills in mathematics
- Understanding of employment and payroll taxes
- Exceptional attention to detail
- College coursework in advanced math, business or a related field
- Experience working in a payroll department
No matter how amazing your payroll administrator job description looks after you’ve written it, it won’t be effective if you don’t share it in the right avenues. People interested in this type of job may not necessarily be looking for your company for work, so you need to develop an effective strategy to bring them to you.
Some companies have found success by having their current employees refer potential candidates. Other businesses may have employed great candidates by recruiting new college graduates at industry job fairs. It may also be helpful to put your job posting online at your website or share it with your followers on social media. Hiring managers and human resources professionals can make better use of their time and improve their advertising focus by using a tool such as MightyRecruiter to post to free job boards that are found across the internet.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter