If you are looking to fill an open payroll clerk position in your company, you might be wondering how to filter out applications from unqualified candidates and attract attention from your field’s top talent instead. This is a challenge that nearly every recruiter has faced at some point, so you aren’t alone. There are ways to boost the quality of your applicant pool and hire the right people. Acting strategically at every point of the hiring process is essential, and this includes the very start of it: the job description. Taking the time to compose a thoughtful and enticing job description can massively improve your applications, but if you don’t know where to start, you can reference our Payroll Clerk job description sample.
Payroll Clerk Job Description Sample
The Payroll Clerk job description sample outlines some of the basic elements your job description should incorporate. You can use it to find inspiration and guidance when it comes time to write your own Payroll Clerk job description.
Payroll Clerk Job Summary
The Payroll Clerk is responsible for performing a variety of tasks relating to the payment of employees’ wages. These tasks include collecting, entering and maintaining accurate record of employee’s earnings and payouts. You may also address any disputes or discrepancies regarding payment by consulting with the individuals involved, verifying information and providing solutions as necessary. You will report to the Payroll Manager and work in conjunction with the rest of the department to provide timely payments and maintain accurate records.
Payroll Clerk Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Calculate deductions to be made from wages, including social security, state and federal income taxes
- Answer questions from employees regarding payroll issues or processes
- Compile reports interpreting information gathered from payroll data
- Protect the confidential information of employees
- Work together with payroll department to uphold standards or performance
- Audit payroll data to check for inaccuracies and other problems
- Research and document solutions to any discrepancies
- Keep all payroll records updated with the most current and accurate information available
Payroll Clerk Skills and Qualifications
- High School Diploma
- Attention to detail
- Excellent mathematic skills
- Superior organizational skills
- Two years or more of experience in an administrative position is required
Anderson Marketing Firm is a Top 500 company that caters to clients nationwide. We offer premier brand establishment and image development services that have placed many of our clients in the spotlight. We understand that competition is steep and it’s difficult to get noticed in a crowded marketplace, but our strategists can partner with you to find a niche and get you to the forefront. We achieve this through advertising, viral marketing and subversive branding. A huge part of our success is the commitment our employees maintain to our operations. Our team wouldn’t be able to accomplish all that it does without the dedication of each member. Associates at Anderson Marketing Firm enjoy competitive salaries, full benefits packages, a 401K and plenty of other perks we offer to reward the hard work of our staff.
Payroll Clerk Job Responsibilities
When crafting your payroll clerk job description, you’ll likely spend the most time on the job responsibilities section since it’s the longest and contains the most information. Since this section includes a great deal of material jobseekers need to understand before applying, it’s important to list the job responsibilities clearly and concisely, using a bulleted list. Allow potential new employees to imagine themselves on the job performing these duties by starting each of your bullet points with an active verb.
Though it’s important your payroll clerk job responsibilities don’t get too long-winded for jobseekers to read through, it’s also critical that you include enough detail for applicants to fully understand the requirements of the job. This helps narrow the field of candidates to those willing and able to do the work required.
Here are some examples of duties you might include in your own payroll clerk job description:
- Update payroll records by logging alterations in exemptions, savings deductions and insurance coverages
- Maintain confidentiality of all employee and payroll information
- Review and audit payroll each pay period, and resolve any payroll discrepancies
- Process and distribute all payroll checks in accordance with state and federal regulations
- Record data concerning changes in employee status, including promotions and departmental transfers
Payroll Clerk Job Specifications
Though the job qualifications and skills section of your payroll clerk job description is shorter than the job responsibilities section, it’s just as important. This section provides jobseekers with the specific education, experience and job skills you require for the position. Without a well-written list of your payroll clerk job specifications, you’re likely to end up with a stack of resumes from jobseekers who just don’t fit the bill.
Rather than sift through candidates who are under-qualified or over-qualified for the position, work with your hiring manager to compile a list of the necessary qualifications for the job so jobseekers easily understand whether or not they should apply. Once you have your list, break it down further into required qualifications and those that you prefer but are not necessary. Though it’s important to narrow the field of applicants, you don’t want to narrow it so much that you’re unable to find someone to fill the position. Separating “required” from “preferred” qualifications helps applicants reading your payroll clerk job description to determine how well-suited they are to the job.
Here are some common payroll clerk qualifications and skills to get you started:
- 2 or more years of experience in payroll or related financial position
- Experience using PeopleSoft payroll software
- Excellent typing and 10-key data entry skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information