Pediatricians provide preventive and medical care for infants, toddlers, children and teenagers. They are responsible for diagnosing and caring for illnesses and infectious diseases that are specific to younger people. Some pediatricians may also specialize in serious medical conditions or pediatric surgery. Daily tasks can include taking medical histories, ordering and reviewing tests and recommending treatment plans.
Being a good pediatrician calls for specialized qualities, and these should be included in your pediatrician job description. Compassion is very important, as is being able to communicate well with children, parents and other healthcare staff. Being detail oriented and having good problem-solving skills are imperative when dealing with medications, surgery and treatment plans.
Pediatricians need to be skilled at working with their hands and should have physical stamina. To get a good idea of what else to incorporate into your pediatrician job description, consult the following example.
Pediatrician Job Summary
Are you passionate about helping improve the health of children? Are you interested in advancing your career? We would like to work with your goals and abilities to find the perfect place for you in our practice. You may choose to work in our clinic, take hospital rounds or combine the two. You will have the opportunity to work with a variety of ages and conditions, both acute and chronic, and make a positive difference in the lives of your patients. We offer great benefits, including health and malpractice insurance as well as relocation support. There is also the potential to be a partner, which can eventually lead to ownership.
- Record medical histories and examine young people from birth to twenty years of age; order diagnostic tests and interpret results to help determine medical condition
- Discuss test results and explain treatments or medical procedures with patients and family members
- Recommend and manage treatment, medication, therapy, vaccinations and additional specialized medical care to prevent or treat diseases, injuries and illnesses; monitor progress and conditions and revise treatments as needed
- Advise and educate patients, parents and members of the community in regards to activity, diet, hygiene and other disease prevention methods
- Design and implement community healthcare programs to aid in the physical and mental development of adolescents and children
- Coordinate and supervise activities of therapists, assistants, nurses, students and other support staff; refer patients to a specialist or other physician when warranted
- Clearly record all patient data, including history, exams performed, past and current medications, vaccination information, diagnosis, treatment plans and prognosis, in corresponding chart
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Doctor of Medicine specializing in pediatrics
- Current BLS and CPR certification
- Current state medical license
- Minimum five years of pediatric experience
- Bilingual (English and Spanish) with experience serving a multinational, multiracial population
- Experience in supervisory and leadership roles
- Experience with learning and developmental delay disorders
When looking to fill an important position, creating a strong pediatrician job description is only the beginning. Where you post the job description is just as significant, as this will determine the quantity and quality of candidates who see it. Get the job in front of the right audience by placing it on your company’s website and on a variety of social networks such as LinkedIn and Facebook. Contact past colleagues and other contacts in the industry and ask for referrals.
Online job boards are great venues to highlight your job opening. However, it can take a lot of time and energy to post on each one on your own. To help save you time, consider using a tool like MightyRecruiter, which will post to free job boards on your behalf.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter