Pest control workers are responsible for inspecting buildings and the surrounding property for signs of insects, rodents and other pests. They determine which treatment is best and use the proper baits or traps to remove them. Pest control workers also create barriers to prevent insects and rodents from re-entering.
When creating your pest control worker job description, list the most important qualities you look for in an employee. Because they work with pesticides and other chemicals, a pest control worker should be detail-oriented and able to closely follow instructions to prevent harm to people, pets and the environment.
Pest control workers must also have the physical stamina to be on their feet for long periods of time, deal with uncomfortable heat or cold when necessary and have excellent bookkeeping skills. To learn which information to include in your description, consult the following pest control worker job description template.
Pest Control Worker Job Summary
Are you looking for a challenging career that will keep you on your toes? Would you like to help families and business owners ensure their properties are safe, beautiful and free of insects and rodents? We are seeking a talented individual who wants to use his or her knowledge of pest control to keep our city beautiful. As a self-starter, you will spend your days traveling to appointments and meeting with customers to assess their pest problems and decide on a treatment plan. Use your creativity and expertise to remove the pests and further protect the property from them, and go home satisfied each evening knowing that you have helped someone keep their property safe and gorgeous.
- Inspect commercial and residential buildings and the surrounding property to identify the type and source of infestation, determine how much damage has been done and secure access to the infested locations
- Measure the dimensions of the infested area to calculate the requirements for fumigants, and provide the client with an estimated cost for service
- Develop treatment plans and prevention methods to remove pest problems for clients and reduce the risk of re-infestation
- Provide clients with safety warnings and other directions regarding leaving the premises or covering sensitive furnishing and other items during the treatment process
- Treat rooms, furnishings, wood, clothing, ditches and surrounding grasslands and trees by spraying powders, gasses or other chemical solutions on affected areas
- Direct and assist co-workers during the extermination process to remove or eliminate insects, rodents or weeds
- Remove dead insects, rodents and weeds, and ensure the premises are free of all treatment chemicals and equipment before leaving the job site
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Driver’s license required
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds regularly
- Ability to stand, walk, crouch and climb for long periods of time
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Experience preferred
Pest Control Worker Job Responsibilities
The job responsibilities section of your pest control worker job description is of paramount importance, as this section makes up the largest portion of your job description and is your prime opportunity to hook the interest of potential jobseekers. In this competitive market, applicants often have multiple options to consider when it comes to selecting a company to work for. Cutting corners in your job responsibilities section may leave you with an unimpressive and insufficient showing when it comes to your final count of resumes received.
To ensure that your pest control worker job description outshines the rest, take the time in this section to spotlight the reasons a position with your company can be a fulfilling and rewarding occupation. Separate your main points into about six bullet points to allow jobseekers to absorb the information with greater ease.
If you’d like a little help getting your feet wet in writing this section, feel free to mull over some of these examples of pest control worker job responsibilities:
- Inspect and evaluate residential and commercial areas of potential pest infestation to determine appropriate treatment and prevention options
- Maintain positive company image by competently presenting and explaining service options to customers
- Facilitate safe, efficient and effective execution of service calls by always acting in accordance with applicable regulatory and company-specific standards
- Investigate and resolve customer complaints by addressing concerns and identifying solutions in a timely manner
- Maintain accountability by confirming service appointments and updating customer records properly and punctually
Pest Control Worker Job Specifications
The job qualifications and skills section of your pest control worker job description is all about the smart, economic use of words, so aim to make this section even more crisp and concise than your job responsibilities section. While this section does not demand as much in the way of text length, it does demand an exceptional eye for identifying the details that make a job candidate a good fit for the position.
Analyze the requirements of the job in depth until you can confidently pinpoint the mandatory qualifications and skills required to perform the job. In addition, strongly consider identifying those qualifications and skills that are not necessarily mandatory but are highly preferred by your company, as these will further clarify to jobseekers whether they are well-positioned to apply for the job. Including these in your pest control worker job description may also discourage those who are minimally qualified or underqualified from applying, saving you time in the long run.
If you’re on the hunt for inspiration to help you compose this section, the following examples of pest control worker job specifications may do the trick:
- Current, valid in-state driver’s license plus a clean driving history
- Ability to pass a drug test and a background check
- Professional appearance and demeanor plus strong customer service skills
- Dependability and reliability in performance of independent tasks
- Ability to work in a physically demanding environment and lift up to 50 pounds without difficulty
- State certification and previous industry work experience preferred