Petroleum engineers are responsible for designing and developing methods for the extraction of gas and oil from underground deposits. They also look for new and innovative extraction methods for getting gas and oil from older wells. They have numerous duties, including designing extraction equipment that maximizes profits, developing drilling plans, ensuring equipment is operated properly and using tests and surveys to analyze well production.
On your petroleum engineer job description, it is a good idea to emphasize specific qualities that these professionals should have. For example, these engineers need to have outstanding analytical and mathematical skills to assess problems and devise solutions.
Additionally, petroleum engineers should be excellent problem solvers and have the creativity to come up with original ideas for extracting gas and oil in new and better ways. Below, you can find a helpful petroleum engineer job description template that will show you how to incorporate key information.
Petroleum Engineer Job Summary
Are you looking for a position that will allow you to put your design, engineering and critical thinking skills to work? If you are an innovative thinker who enjoys a challenge, you would be a great fit as a petroleum engineer for our company. In this rewarding position, you will get to design equipment and develop ways to efficiently and effectively extract oil and gas. You will get to work closely with our geoscientists to learn about natural rock formations so you can better develop and implement plans. Additionally, you will analyze current methods and assist in the operation and maintenance of equipment. This position is great for individuals seeking advancement opportunities and rewarding challenges to tackle.
- Develop and implement plans for gas and oil field drilling and product treatment, ensuring maximum efficiency and effectiveness
- Assess the costs of projects and determine the economic value of gas and oil wells to see if potential drilling sites are economically viable
- Coordinate the maintenance, installation and operation of equipment and make improvements to existing equipment when necessary
- Maximize gas and oil recovery by supervising and specifying well-modification programs and use computer models to simulate reservoir performance for various recovery techniques
- Monitor and direct well analysis, tests and surveys, and interpret testing and drilling information for management personnel
- Confer with other engineering, scientific and technical professionals to effectively resolve research and design issues
- Maintain records of production and drilling operations and create technical reports for management
- Develop and implement environmental controls to ensure standards are properly met and test equipment and machinery to ensure safety and performance specification conformity
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in petroleum engineering or a related engineering field
- Excellent creative thinking skills
- Knowledge of different types of wells and oilfield operations
- Ability to work individually or in a team setting
- Previous experience in the field
- Experience using different types of petroleum economics software
- Oil and gas assessment exposure
Writing an outstanding petroleum engineer job description is essential if you want to find a professional with the proper knowledge and skills to excel in his or her position. This is step one in the hiring process, and once you have completed it, you will need to determine the best places to post your job description. Candidates look in many different places to find job openings, and it is important to know which are the most popular.
For example, social networks are a common place for job seekers to look for positions. Post your job description there, as well as on your company’s website. Additionally, make good use of online job boards, as they are one of the best places to post. Maximize your efficiency and chances of finding the best candidate by using MightyRecruiter to post to hundreds of job boards at once for free.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter