Petroleum pump systems operators typically work in either refinery plants or pumphouses along oil or gas pipelines. Their primary responsibility is to ensure that all pumps are functioning and valves are positioned correctly to allow for optimal flow through processing systems. Once petroleum begins circulating through these units, they then monitor the process to check for potential inefficiencies or system errors.
As you create your listing, consult the petroleum pump system operator job description template to see what skills and experience to list. Among the principle knowledge that a candidate for this position should have is a firm understanding of the refining and/or fluid transportation processes, as well as familiarity with the pump systems he or she will operate.
Another important attribute is a meticulous attention to detail. The petroleum pump system operator job description will give you an idea of how to present these qualifications in your listing.
Petroleum Pump System Operator Job Summary
Everyone wants a career that makes a difference. As a petroleum pump system operator, yours will! Our refinery plant is on the cutting edge of research into making automotive fuel more efficient, allowing for improved motor vehicle performance and decreased levels of harmful emissions. You can play a role in these improvements as a member of our team. Under the direction of our processing plant manager, you’ll oversee the pump system output along our production lines, coordinating with other technicians to ensure optimal fluid flow and component performance. This position will give you greater exposure to the refining process, allowing you to accumulate valuable technical and mechanical skills as you work with both our petroleum scientists and our maintenance staff to prepare petroleum products for processing and storage.
- Collaborate with other members of the refinery process team to develop a standard flow schedule to be implemented as part of daily plant operations
- Enter the parameters of your established flow schedule into system management software program to automate pumping and valve-release processes
- Review the pump schedule daily to ensure that the program is indeed triggering automated flow
- Manage all auxiliary equipment controls required to complete the refining process, including valve regulators, compressors, pressure meters and manifold systems
- Monitor flow rate and reprogram control panels to account for differences in temperature and pressure to maintain consistent fluid movement throughout the pump system
- Check fluid flow into and away from storage tanks, as well as the overall amount of oil remaining in tanks
- Work with maintenance teams to perform routine pump system evaluations and address repairs when issues arise
- Analyze operational and laboratory data, system test results, changes in production schedules and manager recommendations to adjust pump system output accordingly
Job Skills and Qualifications
- Must be 18 years of age, with a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Prior work experience in petroleum processing or a demonstrated understanding of the oil refinery process
- Must be immediately available to complete six-week initial training program
- Good mechanical skills
- Strong understanding of chemistry and/or geology
- Comfortable working with computer software programs
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
Once you’ve used the petroleum pump system operator job description template given here to create your own unique job listing, the challenge then becomes ensuring that the right candidates see it. You may often find people training to work in industrial applications at technical schools. Such programs often have job placement programs with which you can coordinate. Online job boards are another way to help circulate your listing amongst job seekers.
The benefit that online job search resources offer is a greater level of exposure for your listing. However, with hundreds of potential sites out there, it may be difficult to research the posting criteria for each one. Services such as MightyRecruiter have already done that work for you, allowing you almost instant access to free job postings. Utilizing such a service can help you locate, identify and hire the right candidate in no time at all.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter