A pet sitter is responsible for caring for pets when their owners are not available. A sitter may groom, feed and exercise pets. Pet sitters may work based upon a set schedule or provide services on a periodic basis when the owner is unable to do so. Some sitters may also offer training services.
As you create a pet sitter job description, you want to emphasize that a pet sitter must be familiar with and able to work with pets of all kinds. They should be trustworthy because they may be given access to customers’ homes. Sitters should also be physically able to exercise and care for pets.
A pet sitter needs to have a great love for animals, along with being friendly and possessing customer service skills. Look at the following example to help you get an idea of how to construct your own pet sitter job description.
Pet Sitter Job Summary
Do you love animals? You may be perfect for our current pet sitter job opening. We are looking for someone who wants to help owners provide the highest level of care for their pets when they can’t do it themselves. You should have experience working with animals and knowledgeable about the general needs of dogs, cats and small rodents. You will be responsible for offering general care for a range of animals, along with walking and cleaning up after dogs of every breed and size. You should love the outdoors and enjoy playing with pets who are energetic. Our pet sitting service strives to provide high-level care while offering our employees a flexible schedule and great benefits, which include health care, bonuses and paid vacations.
- Clean up after, groom, exercise and provide care for cats, dogs and small rodents, includes dog walking services and litter box and cage cleaning
- Observe outdoor and indoor play to ensure safety of the pet
- Feed and provide water based upon client instructions, which may be very detailed and must be followed exactly as given
- Meet with potential clients to secure business, advertise services provided and explain the details of how pet sitting works
- Report any injuries or illnesses to manager as soon as possible, along with completing an injury/illness form to turn in as soon as manager is on-site
- Respect clients’ homes and personal property when on-site offering pet sitting services, includes cleaning up any pet messes
- Provide additional customer service as requested by clients, which may include picking up mail, watering plants and opening and closing blinds or curtains
- Check and follow schedule provided by the main office and report any conflicts or issues to manager as soon as possible but at least 24 hours in advance of scheduled sitting appointment
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Must love animals
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have a reliable vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Pass criminal background check
- Ability to work varying schedules
- Previous experience working with animals, especially large dog breeds
- Ability to work overnight hours, weekends and holidays
As you create your pet sitter job description, you want to focus on making it as clear and informative as possible. This will help you to attract highly qualified applicants. Of course, a great job description alone won’t help you find someone to fill the position. You also need to post it in the right places. Start with your website and social media pages.
You should also post to job boards because they get a lot of traffic from people who are looking for employment. However, trying to post to all of the different job boards can be a time-consuming process. To make things easier, use MightyRecruiter to post jobs for free across hundreds of boards at one time.
Making better hires starts with building better job descriptions
• Browse 100s of templates across 40+ industries
• Customize your template with your company info & job requirements
• Post it to 20+ job boards in seconds – for FREE!
Get a professional, candidate-centric job description quickly & easily with MightyRecruiter